Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I will be bringing my beagle puppy home on Fri and had a few questions in regard to the vet visit:

1) I've been doing research on the vets in the area and haven't been pleased with the reviews posted online by current and former clients. I'd like to get Holly checked out within the 1st 72 hours of her coming home, so would it be ok if I got her first checkup at one of these places and then switched? As I write it, it sounds like a stupid question, but I am getting increasingly worried about this /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

2) The breeder has taken her in for two sets of shots so far. In some of the books I have been reading, they say that when I take her to the vet, I should start fresh, as if she never received any. Do you find this to be the case? Even if the breeder releases all of her medical records to date?

Any insight you guys could give me would really help! Thanks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
When we got Bailey from the breeder she gave us the paper with shots that was given to Bailey with her signature along with AKC paper to put in record. we took it to the vet so they know what shots he already had when we took him to get check out and he was in a good health for 6 weeks old and been in good health since we've got him. The vet said, he in a good shape and been taken good care of and he in the right weight and everything. He'll soon be 2 yrs old this December 1 it don't seem possible we had him that long.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you have any friends who are "crazy dog people" like most of us are, and you're sure to become? Find out who their vet is and go to them.

When we first got Josie we took her to someone who was convenient to us. The office was close by, etc... Well that turned out to be a disaster. The guy was probably a good vet, but he had no people skills at all. A short while later, my wife said she asked her "crazy dog person" friend of hers who her vet was and she gushed and gushed about the guy. It was a little out of our way, but the interaction was 1,000 times better. He knew how to talk to us and how to treat our dog that made us feel comfortable (as first time dog owners, my wife and I had a lot of questions that were probably silly, but he made us feel that they were each important - unlike Vet 'A').

Anyway, find someone who is as crazy about their dog as you'll be about yours, and that is the vet for you!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think you should continue the sets of shots according to what the breeder has done already.
But - only if you have the records from the breeder. The vet will be able to tell you what she needs next...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Nolan:
Do you have any friends who are "crazy dog people" like most of us are, and you're sure to become? Find out who their vet is and go to them.
I was going to suggest exactly the same thing. I think this is the best way to find a good vet. If you are buying from a reputable breeder, I am not certain there is a huge need to rush to the vet. If you could wait a bit, I was going to also suggest that, once you identify a vet, you call them and ask for a tour of the office and a short visit with the vet. They shouldn't charge for that but worth a small fee, I think. Not only is the vet important, it is also important to check out the staff. The best vet in the world could have a terrible staff and the vet techs are going to be your first line of communication. I also think it is important to find a vet who can take their own x-rays and do basic lab tests in-house. This will save you mega bucks in the long run.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yea the first thing i did was asked a buddy that has been going to several vets, and he told me out of all of them, the one called North Acreage here in town is the best.

so ask friends that takes their pets to vets and see what they say!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You shouldn't assume anything unless you have good records of the shots she has recieved. If you do, then repeating the shots is not only unneccessary, it is more risky (Over medication or shots is also not advised).

The advice to find a decent vet is good. The Bagel and I had another method. I was friends with the daughter of a motorcycle racing friend of mine. Actually used my pull to get her into a summer range camp co-sponsored by the Department of Wildlife and Nevada Wildlife Federation. We stayed friends as she went off to College (On vacation was when she first got to meet Bagel) and then Vet school and as soon as she came back and set up practice, we had an already broken in vet /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif If you can't grow your own vet /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif seeking advice from area dog enthusiasts (Crasy Dog People) is the best advice I know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol! I would LOVE to grow my own vet! Thanks so much for your advice. I didn't think that I would need to get her shots done all over again, but I just wanted to make sure. In regard to the vet, I am just so surprised at the lack of vet services (for dogs) here in Philly. There are A LOT of vets specializing in cats, but to get a good vet for dogs, I think I'm going to have to go into the suburbs =( It's a bit of a hassle, but it's worth finding a vet that works well with Holly and I

·
Registered
991 Posts
You might see if there are any Beagles in you area and ask them who their Vet is and do not forget dog walkers. They have contact with all sorts of dogs and probably could recommend a good Vet. Positively go for a visit to the clinic without your puppy for a good through look-see. If you do not get good vibes at the front desk, look elsewhere. This may sound stupid, but I always ask about their pets. If they do not have one I have always wondered why no. Another stupid bit of advice. Take a good sniff at the clinic, if it does not smell clean, it is not the place for my little darlings. Remember if you are not happy you do not have to stay with the practice. It is your money, your piece of mind and above all else, the health of your little fur ball. :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
When we got Murphy (rescue), we took him to a local vet hospital neither of us had ever used. Well, Murphy didn't like the first vet (first visit), or the second (second visit), or the third (third visit). He did like the fourth, Dr. G. She has been his vet ever since. he has also been his sole vet the entire time. He chose well. With all of his issues, she keeps his file on her desk, not in the main file storage area. It drives the clerks crazy when they can't find it.

As for shots, take the records in with you. Let the vet decide on what is necessary. Then go from there. Do trust your vet until you or your beagle have reason not to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts