Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks

as ive stated before, i might be getting bernie a beagle puppy in the fall. he could use a friend
to play with im thinking.
what are the advantages/disadvantages of having another beagle in the house? what are some things i need to really think about before a make the leap? what are some of the things you 2 beagle owners didnt think about that might have caught you off guard or wasnt planning for? just thinking ahead ya know.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have never added a beagle as when I went to get one, I came home with two sisters. Beagles love companions. It keeps a lot of separation anxiety down and they have someone other than you to play with and keep occupied. The down side is it takes lots of time with two since beagles tend to be rather high maintenance, i.e. walks, etc. Vet bills are definitely higher, but the love and satisfaction of watching the two do all the beagle things is worth it. I can't imagine having just one. Each has her own personality and style. From listening to others, however, it seems mine haven't slowed down as much at almost two years old (21 months) as a solo beagle. I also find it harder to train 2 at the same time and it's impossible for me to separate them for training. That may be because they are the same age and have never been apart. If I could have 3, I think I would. Good luck. We got our girls from a man who hunts his beagles and once a year he mates one of his females with a registered tri color to sell the beagle pups to pay for his hunting dues and all. Mine are healthy beagles but with a definite hunting instinct.

·
Registered
135 Posts
with 2 they will keep eachother busy, and out of your hair. they will both try to be dominant, so they might fight alot until one gives in!
2 beagles are wwwwwwaaaaaaay trickier and smarter than 1!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Keep in mind the unexpected...illness, injury...vet bills for two.

Twice the amount for yearly tune-ups as well as the...you know all about this...the UNEXPECTED expenses.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
For me it depends on the the individual character or your current dog.

Some dogs prefer to be an only dog. If I was to seriously reflect back on how Lilly was in all honesty I'm sure she would have been better off an only dog. Lilly and Rosa got on well in as much as they didn't fight but they were hardly best friends.

Rosa is a very different character and after a year without Lilly I realised that she needed a friend.

Rosa already loves Sherry very much. She's finally got a buddy that she can cuddle with because Lilly never let her. I can see how much she enjoys the closeness of a canine companion. The two of them play very well because neither has a dominant nature. When Lilly and Rosa used to play Lilly would go over the top with lots of barking and growling but Sherry doesn't do this.

There was a time when I had three dogs which didn't work...three bitches together (two of which wanted to be top dog) did not make for a happy family.

I guess what I'm saying is that for me and my experiences over the years is that the advantages and disadvantages are mostly governed by the dogs abilities to live in harmony with each other.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I've posted this before, so forgive me if I'm repeating, but I've had better luck with dogs of the opposite sex.

In the beginning, there is less competition, and more chance for successful bonding.
Calvin was about 4-5yrs old when maggie came along as a small pup and he was very maternal toward her.

Like the others said, there is twice the expense, twice the dogfood, twice the walks....TWICE THE BARKING.....and they work as a team to get into trouble. Of course, that also means there is twice the laughter!!
I can't imagine life with only one dog now that I watch the interactions of two.

Personality is definitely the key, but the sex of the new dog is a factor which can make the transition easier also.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Oh, that's great! You said that you were getting two MORE!! :biglaugh: Seriously, Bernie will be much happier with a buddy. I agree with Deb that a female would be a better fit than another male. Speaking from someone with THREE, it is a bit of an adjustment having two dogs at first, but it is worth it. Just as a family with real children, I've gotten into a routine with laundry (the dogs',) teeth brushing, and frequent house cleaning. (a good vacuum is worth its weight in gold!!) Good luck with the transition!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I also agree with Deb on getting a female for Bernie. Badger was a little over 2 years old when I brought Bella into the picture. She was 10 weeks old and SASSY as ever! She has definately put Badger in his place. She "attacks" him at the neck and he just loves it and goes back for more! Having two also means they will entertain each other, ALTHOUGH my two like to wrestle on the couch when I am sitting there or am on the phone! Hmmmmmm I think they think I am the third beagle in the house sometimes. It's not easy being out numbered by beagles! :biglaugh:

Bella has been here for about eight months and they are good buddies now and LOVE LOVE LOVE to get into trouble! I can't believe how sneaky two beagles can be! One runs one way to distract you while the other does something naughty! ha ha ha They look so innocent don't they???

[/url] [/IMG]

Just remember like everyone else has said...twice the food costs, vet bills and whatever else goes into having two, but all in all it is WORTH it and I don't worry as much when I leave Badger anymore cause he has a buddy to snuggle, play and get into trouble with all day long! Hee Hee Hee

[/url] [/IMG]

Oh it would be great to consider adopting a rescue if you are thinking of adding another one. I can't believe the number of beagle puppies the rescue I work with has sometimes! (Bella - my second beagle is a rescue) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Good luck!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Speaking as someone who has just put themselves in this "situation" I have to highly recommend getting a companion. Wyatt will be three in July and in the evenings, after his walk, he would lay down and just look so depressed. And then Doc came along. There was a little battle as far as dominance but everything is going along swimmingly now! Wyatt is a much happier dog and Doc has made our family complete. Believe me, I was hesitant for awhile, but I'm so happy we have added Doc in our lives.

My mom has always said that getting the opposite sex is best. I agree with the others that it will depend on you beagle. Wyatt was fine with another male, but all of his "friends" are male dogs. There is only one female "friend" and Wyatt can't stand her. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Wyatt did and still does suffer from some separation anxiety but it seems to have gone away now that Doc is around. Keep in mind that if you get a pup, you have to go through the whole potty training thing again. Wyatt and Doc don't get into too much trouble, but Wyatt has not shown Doc the "way" for the whole bathroom thing yet. :raspberry: I had forgotten what it was like to have to get up at 3:30 to let out a puppy! Overall, now that I've written you a book, it's a great move!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wyatt.

i remember you going through this too.
im just setting back taking all this in before i comment on things.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Oh, Rick, I do hope you'll find a good brother or sister for Bernie. It will be a lot more work and worry, but the rewards would be great!

I wish I could get another Beagle for Daisy to be with. She just loves all the dogs in our neighborhood and would be happier not being alone with just me. But because I am physically handicapped I don't think I could take care of two dogs. Besides that, my husband (after almost eight months of being in the hospital and nursing home) will be coming home soon. He's partially paralyzed and I will have my hands full taking care of him, too.

You have so much love in you for Bernie I'm sure you will be such a good Dad to another loving Beagle and thoroughly enjoy it. :thumbup:

I most certainly admire all you've done for Bernie. Good Luck making your decision!!

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Until our present two, we kept one beagle at a time.
Snoopy and Susi came to us together, we couldnt have taken just one. They are sterlized, an obvious point when keeping a male and female! Ours adore one another and cuddle up together. It is easier to leave them when we go out, as they are company for one another.

I would certainly advise you to get a female. The plus points are:
The beagles will be happier with company.
2. You can leave them knowing they will have each other.
3. You will have double the fun with them.
The negative points are:
Vet and other dog associated bills are double.

My biggest fear with our two is, that if one of them dies the other will be heartbroken. They both went through 5 years of hell before they met and have become inseperable.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had Gracie first, and honestly I think she would be happy being the only dog. She isn't aggressively the alpha dog, but we reinforce that she is the alpha. When we first got Katie and Wednesday, Gracie would turn her back to us and displayed what I describe as hurt that we would bring those things into her house. She now puts up with them, and plays with them at times.

I think it depends on your dog's personality, We had no problems have 3 females, but others have had problems. But be prepared for some kind of change in personality... it might not last like Gracie's or it might have a lasting presence.

·
Registered
794 Posts
a month ago, I would have said that getting our Polly was probably more of a mistake...but she is finally shaping up.

but she does bite and jump and pull on Georgia ALL the time. She even steals Gorgia's rawhides...and Georgia just comes to me and tattles. :freak:

probably Georgia would have been better off as a single dog...they rarely cuddle up. Maybe when Polly turns 1 year old and slows down a bit.
We probably would have been better off with an older dog, without the 2 year age gap.

But when Polly was getting spayed, Georgia was very concerned with Polly missing... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
We go to Wyoming for 10 days in 2 weeks--and the girls are going separate ways during that time. It will be a good break for both of them.

I have decided that is is IMPOSSIBLE to walk them both at the same time. They both act up and pull so hard when they are together!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
For me I am so glad I got another beagle. Casey has brought Hunter out of her shell alot. One thing I didn't realize, is how different they would be!! They are totally opposite, which is why it works I guess. Also be prepared for one to teach the other "bad" habits. Good ones too, but casey picked up everything from Hunter, good and bad. Good luck with your decision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts