Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was outat my local "Walley World" to day and was thinking of buying Shiloh a snack that was different. I remembered reading on BW that some of you had mentioned buying pigs ears and how your beagle loved to chew on them. I spotted a bag of Hartz Mountian pig ears and thought I would give them a try for Shiloh. Got home gave Shiloh one and he loved it ! But just happen to notice on side of bag,"Not For Human Consumption"(had not planned on partaking anyway)but this next line really confused me(easy to do)," Wash Hands Thoroughly After Handleing". (Question)Are these good to feed to Shiloh ? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
This is only my personal opinion, but you could not pay me enough to ever bring anything made by Hartz for my dogs. I remember their flea collars and all the dogs that died because of them. :angryfire:

We've been snowballed.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:Originally posted by BoulderBeagles:
This is only my personal opinion, but you could not pay me enough to ever bring anything made by Hartz for my dogs. I remember their flea collars and all the dogs that died because of them. :angryfire:

We've been snowballed.
Thanks for the reply ! I haven't been a dog owner all that long so guess I missed that one. I just saw a name I knew and bought them. But now not sure these are safe to give my baby !

·
Registered
751 Posts
that is definitely concerning. Glad you posted this. I am curious to hear what others say about the chews.

Now to the brand, I thought Hartz was a noteable name in the industry a while back. Not anymore?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote: Now to the brand, I thought Hartz was a noteable name in the industry a while back. Not anymore?
I knew it was a brand I had heard of,but that was about all I knew about them. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
When it comes to pig's ears and rawhides, please be VERY careful. They are a choking hazard. Dogs love them but once they get soft, dogs oftn try to swallow them and the can get lodged in their throat. After pulling far too many out of Murphy's throat that got stuck, we swore off them. If you do give them, please supervise them carefully and don't let them out of your sight. Make sure they are chewed in that sitting and not buried somewhere for later.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleBabe:
Madison posted about this awhile back. You can read everything he posted in the Health & Welfare section here: http://www.abeagleworld.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=15

It's a post titled "Don't use Hartz" products
Thanks for that link but in my(little) experience with flea drops. I have found that most animal deaths caused by these products is due to owners misuse. These are not meant to be used on puppies and giving the wrong size dosage can be a BIG problem. My neigbor killed her dog that way. Her dog was a Boston Terrier and she used a dosage given to her by a friend that owned a Pitt.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replys but what really concerns me most was the statement on bag. If I need to wash my hands from just tounching these. Are they safe for the dog? Sounds like some "lethal compound" in/on it ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We dont buy pigs ears or raw-hide products. Our neighbours buy pigs ears for their alsation (German shephard) but cut them up into small pieces.
The ones you bought sound as if they are unhygenic. Best to play safe rather than be sorry- chuck them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:Originally posted by A doghouse:
We dont buy pigs ears or raw-hide products. Our neighbours buy pigs ears for their alsation (German shephard) but cut them up into small pieces.
The ones you bought sound as if they are unhygenic. Best to play safe rather than be sorry- chuck them.
Thanks ! Sounds like you may be right on chucking them !

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Our older female lab almost choked on a rawhide when she was younger and I stopped giving them to my dogs.

Now that the labs are 12 & 13, they can't chew that hard on them, so I will give them a rawhide on occasion, but usually only on Xmas when we're opening gifts so they have something that will last a while and keep them occupied and I only let them eat part of it (supervised right next to me) and then I take it away and toss the rest.

Pigs ears lasted all of 10 seconds with the labs, so we stopped giving those years ago.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rather be safe then sorry,so I chunked them ! Almost cried because I had just paid $10.75 for them ! :biglaugh: But my baby is worth a lot more to me ! :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I wouldn't have given them to Jersey either. I'd definitely be concerned about anything that I was giving my dog that isn't fit for human consumption. If you haven't thrown the trash out yet, take those treats back out and return them to Wal-Mart. Make sure to let them know exactly why you are returning them. I might even contact their Home Office and tell them how you feel about that product (www.walmart.com or 1-800-WAL-MART).

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I think the pig's ears and some of the other treats can carry samonella. I don't know if this is correct but I read that dogs are less likely to contract the disease because of their short intestinal tract, but people would be susceptable and can transmit the bacteria from their hands. I don't buy them for that reason and because of what I have read about dogs choking. I would agree with the earlier post that you should try returning them if you can.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:Originally posted by jen-n-jersey:
I wouldn't have given them to Jersey either. I'd definitely be concerned about anything that I was giving my dog that isn't fit for human consumption. If you haven't thrown the trash out yet, take those treats back out and return them to Wal-Mart. Make sure to let them know exactly why you are returning them. I might even contact their Home Office and tell them how you feel about that product (www.walmart.com or 1-800-WAL-MART).
I have already throw them out but thanks for your post. :wave:

·
Registered
667 Posts
wow, I actually got rid of raw hides (which they love) and bought pig ears instead b/c I heard they were safer...maybe not???

We always keep them watched with anything they chew though, and the puppy loves to chew and I worry about too many Kong treats...what else can I give to chew..he is board with nylabone, bored with dental chews, balls, toys..Im constantly looking for new treats.

Any suggestions?

Amanda

·
Registered
794 Posts
We HAVE to give Polly things to chew--she has even chewed Kongs, for goodness sakes!!
I give her the Rawhides, and she chows them. I make sure she is supervised...
what other choices are there--for beagles? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif obviously there are lots of big dog chewies??

at least she has stopped chewing on the blankets--now she sucks on them, I guess. She just holds them in her mouth, and I get wet spots all over the blankets. :heart:
my goodness, but she tries our patience. :heart:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had never even thought about the "chocking"! I always have bought rawhide for Shiloh. That may not be a good idea anymore. Thanks to everyone who mentioned that problem.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by littledude:
Rather be safe then sorry,so I chunked them !
That's probably for the best, although I know how it hurts to throw something away that you paid a lot for!! :raspberry: I have to hold my breath when I give her one!! I'm finishing the package,(there's 1 left) but I've already informed her that she's getting no more of those stinky things!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts