Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the word mutt is rather like a four letter word in some circles. I know that hybred's is more politically correct. I had a mutt once, my first dog, a rat terrier/pomeranian mix...best dog I ever had till I got beagles, and he's still up there.
Okay, so we paid $5 for him, that was in the 70's. In our paper there are many pups listed as this/and that....$450 or anywhere between $200 - $700 or more. They are hybred's... or mutts....laberdoodles, cockapoos, etc. So are these people just trying to make a buck off people who want a certain type of dog or is there really a reason to charge so much for what a person would normally call a mutt.
Now before you storm beagletown in SD; our first beagle was a bagel part basset/beagle, Chipper was and is the love our life..and there will never be another wonderful little man like this guy....so we love our mutt but even he was a freebie.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think they are a fad. Come up with a cute name and charge a lot for the puppys. I have had more mutts in my life than purebreds and I have never really paid for one other than adoption fees to help cover the costs of whomever rescued them.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I think its a fad to make the hybrid, perfect dog which in all reality is a mutt, or as I prefer to say mixed breed. I actually think there are some awesome mixed breeds - smart, adorable, and probably less medical issues as the purebreds. Except for the hybrids that are made from puppy mills. Cockerpoo, labradoodle etc. Its a dog!!! I happen to have purebred dogs now but they are rescues. A mutt is welcome in my home too!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
i dont think there is anything too bad with it, alot of the dogs today are from mix breeding somewhere down the line... obviously when people are backyard breeding and not taking proper care, its an issue but thats the same with pure backyard breeders... i almost bought a staffordshire x husky but then decided against it and got my beautiful Milo instead

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Dinozi almost bought a staffordshire x husky but then decided against it and got my beautiful Milo instead
OMG! I own a Siberian and I can't think of a worse cross... there are so many things wrong with it I can't even begin to imagine what that poor dog would look like!

·
Registered
106 Posts
no they actually looked very good IMO, which is what attracted me to them. but i wasnt sure if i was prepared to deal with a dog that had a high potential to be aggressive and stubborn, especially with young kids living next door...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Dinozno they actually looked very good IMO, which is what attracted me to them. but i wasnt sure if i was prepared to deal with a dog that had a high potential to be aggressive and stubborn, especially with young kids living next door...
Maybe as pups. All pups are cute
God knows what they would have turned out to look like, the two breeds are so vastly different; not just in temperament but in size, height, structure... I struggle to think of two more opposing breeds.

I would have been very worried about structural health problems like joint issues when you cross such vastly different dogs together too.

I'm biased though, IMO Siberians are one of the best looking breeds out there and I just can't fathom why someone would want to ruin that by crossing them to another breed especially one so different like a Stafford :eek:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think it's a fad, too. My big dog, Buddy, who passed away in March was a Newfoundland/Lab mix.

I had several people ask me where he was bred, could they get one, etc.

He was a stray that was thrown from a car and landed in my yard. He was very unusual looking and very, very big. He weighed 150 pounds and he lived to be 15.

I have a friend who has a collie/german shepherd that she got from the pound that is beautiful!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts