Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Hubby would like me to ask for advice on how to eat with your Beagle in the same room.

He was used to our very wonderful Charlie angel, who he did not know at Marley's age, and who was 2 years when they met. He knew the Charlie that was not a puppy, was well mannered, didn't stalk us for our food, etc.

He wants advice on how to get Marley there. I told him with time, he will not put his head on your plate, salivate heavily, pace from side to side, ahahahah.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
What we have found works the best (although it isn't 100% - probably because we are not 100% in enforcing it) is to use the "go to bed" command (sometimes over and over and over again) which all three of our guys know means they are supposed to go lie down in or around their beds. They often do so for a bit then come back - but we just keep sending them back there. To do this obviously they need to understand a command like "go to bed" - so that is step 1 - but once they have that it is just a question of getting them to obey the command (which is a challenge given that option B is always to stay and try to get food). Popcorn is the best - all we have to do is tell her to go to bed once and she stays there for the entire meal. Booker is the worst - she will go to bed but only under protest and she stays there for the bare minimum she can before she is back at the table.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
We have used the "Go lay down" and they usually bugger off. I always feed the dogs before we eat so they are not starving having to watch us. Just be consistent and he will catch on.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We've yet to master this. Sometimes Jersey is constantly jumping up trying to get food, other times she lays down and ignores us. I think it depends on how much she really wants what we have. When she's being too annoying, we try the "go to your place" command and sometimes it works, but like Bookermoose, we're not 100% about enforcing it. Jersey just looks so darn cute with her head resting on the table watching every bite we both take........ :redface: :rolleye11:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sadie is 3 1/2 and we have always had a problem since we got her 6 months ago. I think she used to be fed from the table a lot. We have a strict rule although we are still working hard to get her to be consistent. We call the dining area "the zone" and when she goes in there she is told to get out of the zone. :nono5: She knows this phrase quite well. If she goes into the zone she gets a quick squirt and is told again to get out of the zone. She eventually goes to the other room to lay down.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe is 10 months old. I used to spray her nose with mint spray and it worked. What I do now when she tries to get to my plate is get her to the "down" position, and it might take a try or two but she quickly gives up and minds her own business.... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I know you are all going to hate me for this but ... Maggie has never tried to beg for food or steal food off of a plate. The only thing I can think of that makes her different from other beagles is that she has never, ever been fed from anyone eating at a table. If I have company over, she will look up at them with those big, brown eyes but won't jump up. All my friends knew not to feed her. She used to get tidbits from things I was fixing at the kitchen counter ("used to" as she is now on a strict, strict food regimen) so she has had the taste of different things. I live by myself and like to eat dinner in front of the TV with my feet up on the ottoman and my plate in my lap -- Maggie can sit next to me on the ottoman and watch me eat but never try to take anything off the plate. I haven't gone so far as to leave the plate full of food in front of her and walk away. Maybe she is a beagle in disguise!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
hi!

like Maggie, Glover never begs for food, he is only young so maybe he hasn't figured it out yet... lol

but we never give him anything from our plate, he has his food, we have ours.

although if he knows we have treats, there is nothing stopping him to get them!

·
Registered
147 Posts
homer responds well to "go away".i know it's not the nicest thing to say to him but it works.usually he "goes away" about 1 step back :rolleyes: so we have to repeat it like 5 times but he will leave us alone.he gets fed when we eat and never get fed from the table-any people food like meat goes in his bowl when we are done.now the kitchen is another story-he sits in the doorway and watches me and i have to shoo him out alot-guess i shouldn't let him clean my messes from the floor when i'm cooking....lol

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by jen-n-jersey:
When she's being too annoying, we try the "go to your place" command and sometimes it works, but like Bookermoose, we're not 100% about enforcing it. Jersey just looks so darn cute with her head resting on the table watching every bite we both take........ :redface: :rolleye11:
Ummm, yeah, we have that problem too as evidenced by my avatar!!!

·
Registered
667 Posts
We give table food at times, those that are safe, no onion, garlic, ect...and so what we teach them to do is "SIT"..and they sit beside us begging at times putting the head on the knee thing and looking up with begging eyes...sometimes we can give them what we eat in small amouts.
If they try to jump up we say "NO" and ignore them and then say sit before we give anything.

Now even Marbles, the puppy picks up on this and will come up and sit and wait...if we can give them something, we will give a small piece, if not we say "NO" and just ignore them and they go off on their own eventually.

They do VERY good at this...we can eat on the coffee table in the living room, watch TV, and they will just sit there waiting...and that deserves a treat so if what we are eating has something bad in it, we just have a treat by hand to give them for being good..but jumping behavior is NOT allowed

Amanda

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by judymaggie:
I haven't gone so far as to leave the plate full of food in front of her and walk away. Maybe she is a beagle in disguise!!
When I read this last line, the pink panther theme started playing in my head! :hi: :rolleye11:

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only thing Josie has ever 'begged for', and by that I mean she stares me down and doesn't take her eyes off it, has been a popsicle. For whatever reason. I can eat a steak in front of her, and sure she'd like to smell it, but she won't bug me over it. But if I sit down with a popsicle, she gets real excited. I can't help but save the last inch or so for her...

That's not to say she hasn't stolen food off my plate when I wasn't looking... (In reference to he person who posted above...) There has been two times when she has stolen a chicken wing from my plate (though I think the second time she did it just for the milk soaked bread I gave her afterwards...).

But other than that, Josie is great when it comes to food. She's never really had the appetite that people describe here. I've given her plenty of people food in the past, so she knows what it is, but usually if she just smells it that's good enough for her...

She does stare hard at me during dinner most nights though because she knows that when I'm done eating is when we play. She'll usually stare at me from her spot on the couch and when I sit back in my chair to rest, she'll jump down and sit in front of me on the floor and stare... And if that doesn't work, she'll lightly paw at my leg or foot... And if that doesn't get a response she'll let out the quietest little bark and the veins in her ears start to puff out (this means she's getting mad and is tired of waiting). By this time I'll get her squeeky ball out and we start to play...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by judymaggie:
... I haven't gone so far as to leave the plate full of food in front of her and walk away. Maybe she is a beagle in disguise!!
The Bagel is just like Maggie. He waits. I do share my food with him on my terms. I can and often do leave a plate of food within Bagel reach while I return to kitchen to fetch something to drink or a missing condiment or dressing. If I'm going to be gone for a few minutes, I give an admonishment "That's Mine" but with such a parting word, the Bagel is good for at least five minutes. When I finish, I always give him my plate to Beagle Pre-wash. Senior Beagles who know the routine are the best!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We tend to eat in the living room fairly often and we have all three dogs at our feet during the process. DH usually finishes before me, so they will sit in front of him until he's done and then in a second, they are in front of me. But they just sit there and look as pathetic as they can. They know it works, dangit!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts