Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming you left your beagle(s) at home or boarded them. What was thier response to you when you got home? The reason I ask this is we are going to Australia for 16 days in August and obviously we can't take Sammy, so she is going to stay with friends. It is going to be difficult leaving her, but I know she is in good hands. They have a beagle too, and the two of them get along really well. We are very fortunate to have this arrangement, cause I couldn't stand taking her to the doggie daycare we have here, since she is in a kennel all day.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I left Chloe with my brother for 15 days. She was fine and just happy when I came back. She wasn't 100% housetrained then, so I can't tell if there was any regression in her potty training.

If it's friends and you trust them - that's great. Another plus is that she will have a Beagle friend there
and they know how to work with a Beagle.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Is there anything you could leave her with your scent on it - that she won't tear up and eat?

I just had a long training session to learn how to help Jack get beyond separation anxiety and one of the things I'm to do is to leave something with my scent on it when I leave him in his crate. The situations are quite different of course. I'm only to leave the room for short periods at first and then keep extending that time, without leaving the house first - working up to leaving though. Anyway, I just wondered if that would help her feel/smell your presence....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The longest I've ever left Jersey was for 8 days on two different occassions. Both times she stayed with my aunt while I was gone. The first time she didn't do well. She wouldn't eat and didn't sleep well until the last couple of days. The last time she was much better. One restless night, but then she settled in. She stays with my aunt a lot and is very used to staying with her, however, Jersey's got separation anxiety and I can't ever leave her home alone, so my situation is a little different.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Re: Question for those who've taken long vacations

We've been gone for up to 2 weeks. Ours are left at home, and our petsitter comes twice a day. They're always overjoyed when we get home. For some reason, they always seem tired, too, so we wonder if they might fret a little while we're away.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Re: Question for those who've taken long vacations

We've left Duke home with my son for 9 days, and a few 3 or 4 day trips and he does fine. I think having Cassie (and Roscoe before) with him helped the situation.

Granted, none of them eat as much when Dave and I are gone, but they all do well and when we come home, it takes at least an hour of pure attention for them to settle a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts