Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a question about vaccinations. We are about to have Jewelie vaccinated (apparently former owner never did that either. Grrrr. At least he is paying for the basics)

Anyways, over and above the usual rabies/distemper vaccines, we usually do lepto/giardia because we go to the cottage, and we have also done Lyme because hubby's parents lived in CT and we visited quite often.

Well, they have just moved to Virginia (Lake of the Woods area) and I wondered if Lyme is an issue down there as well. So of course, I come to the experts! What do you all think?

Can't wait to come and visit, although 13 hours in the car with TWO beagles ought to be an adventure /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm in Ct and from hearing how fast Lyme Disease has spread through the US, I would definately have her vaccinated for it.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
The way I see it, a Vaccine is a very cheap insurance. So if there is any question what soever as to whether it is needed, I usually think it is proof enough that it is...
The only thing is to resist those Vet's yearly reminder cards, as dogs should not be vaccinated every year. Every 3 years according to every veterinary schools. Over vaccination is believed to be link to autoimune diseases.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would do the vaccine regardless of where you live. Especially in Virginia though with the abundance of Deer Ticks, its an excellent idea. I live near DC so the prevalence of ticks is not as bad as in the country. Whenever we take Fin out to the mountains or woods he always comes back with about 5 or 6 ticks on him. It is winter now so they are not around as much, but come March its open season. The weird thing is I use Frontline on him every month and I was still noticing at least one or two a week up until December, what gives? Was I not doing it properly. I don't mean to take over the post, but any knowledge would be welcomed.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
We live in Southwest Virginia in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I don't know the prevalence but deer-ticks are always a consideration in the woods and the vaccine, as Cheerio said, is cheap insurance.

What part of the state will you be visiting? I'm not familiar with the place that you said.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Gingergoose!

It's just west of Fredericksburg. My in-laws' new place literally backs on the Wilderness Battlefield. I'll finally have the chance to brush up on all that Civil War lore that my dad taughts us on all our drives to Florida when I was a kid. We went to every battlefield on the Eastern Seabord!

Thanks for the info on vaccination - we will definitely proceed!!

Can I just say again how much I LOOOOOOOVE my new little girl and how awesome it is to have two of them?? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif For a small doggie, she is cram-jammed with personality, and she is just sooo funny. Thanks - had to get that out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts