Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After our visit at the nursing home tonite, Shiloh & me were walking outside to meet our ride, I don't drive. Shiloh happened to see a rabbit and well, ya'll know the rest of the story. I could not get his attention away, tried to lead him in a different direction(yeah, right), I even ended up laying on him to try to keep him from running for the rabbit - yes, he had his collar, Halti and leash on but even trying to grab his therapy dog vest didn't stop him - he slipped away from me and after the rabbit he goes (almost causght him too except the rabbit ran under a van). If it hadn't of been for a good samaritan and his wife, I nite still be trying to catch him. Of course I'm calling him, telling him to leave it but ya'll know how well that worked - NOT!

My question - does anyone have any ideas of at least slowing this down a little. I want Shiloh to respect me and I don't think he does too much - this is the fourth time in less than 2 weeks he has gotten away. I am really bummmed out this time - I am disabled - can walk halfway decent but just can't run worth beans. I know my sis is starting to have second thoughts (again) about me having him and I've gotta admit, I'm wondering too. Now that he is mature, this is really his only fault - this and trying to eat anything he can get. He loves doing his therapy work.

Ok, we are all off to bed.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Gosh Kim, part of me is excited to hear that Shiloh is feeling good enough to get away and chase rabbits, but the other part knows how frustrating (and dangerous) his running away is. Hopefully someone here will have some advice for you!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Kim, got a lot of good tips at the "go say hi" classes. I almost always carry little bits of chicken/turkey franks with me, to get Chloe's attention when she won't respond. Works 99% of the time..../forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Maybe an obedience refresher course for him. That and a bag of Pupperoni. Even though I know once on a scent, most beagles go deaf and not even food will get them off a scent espacially after they see the rabbit.

I would suggest a leash that wraps around your wrist or clips to your belt.

With Summer, It is always looped around my wrist, and I have a way of holding it so that if she does make a run for it, the leash tightens around my hand. It can hurt, but she isn't getting away.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Kim, many of our BB members use a leash that wraps around the waist or clips to your belt - I know Deb advocates them - I don't use one myself, but do wrap it around my hand - and as Murphy's Dad said, it CAN hurt if they pull, but it does keep them with you. MSN is being a pain so I have been unable to respond on Beagle Bay - but I do know that Kathy has to walk her two boys several times a day and uses leashes that clip to her belt or wraps around her waist.
I know that Shiloh has taken several obedience classes - but I also know that these kids have to follow their noses if they get loose! Hopefully you'll find a solution that works for you! I just wish I had more good advice.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winkingsmiley.gifThank you all for your input - yes, I'm thinking a refresher course in obedience might be needed. However, Glenda also reminded me of something and I'm a little embarrased to admit it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif but I really don't walk Shiloh as much as I should be. I forgot for awhile that I had one of these types of harnesses -
Soft Touch Harness I like these because the snap is in the front and not on the back. I also got one for Shasta and she does really good on walks. I started using it again out in the backyard with the recent development of the holes in my fenceline (they were created with the removal of my neighbor's fence and they are not fixed yet) so Shiloh has been wearing this. I think I am going to make a determined effort to get him out for a long walk in the evening - wearing the harness PLUS the Halti and I will have a different leash on EACH (both of them have loops that will go around my wrist. I figure the Halti will turn his nose and the harness will turn the rest of him /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/gaah.gif , I hope. I will also carry a huge amount of good, smelly treats with me. He is a strong boy at 16.1" and 37 pounds and all muscle and determination.

Ok - bak to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts