Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So, in my post about wrestling I said that everything is going beautifully - and it is - with one little concern. They have been playing really well together, sharing toys, even sleeping on the couch together. Tonight, though, twice while they have been playing the tone has changed from playful barking to all out snarling and screeching that required DH to intervene. Is this normal? DH has only had dogs that grew up together (mama and puppies) so has not experienced this. No one has been hurt and they quickly go back to being friends, but it's rather scary when it happens.

Any advice is welcome!! Here's a picture of our new little sweetheart...she may be small, but she has a biiiig howl. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sometimes our furkids are just like two-legged ones and have their tiffs. Who knows what triggers the "disagreements." /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Sometimes my two snarl and bare teeth; Maggie even has hair standing on end. It sounds horrible, and they seem serious, and it always ends with Calvin giving in to Maggie....she's my dominant one....and she's 30 pounds lighter and years younger than Calvin. Calvin is laid back, and doesn't care who "wins"....but it's serious for Maggie....perhaps your Jewelie is more dominant than Buckley also.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Its called "boundry setting". Each is trying to create a space for themselves. Unfortunately, sometimes there is an overlap in space. What causes the sudden change? Who knows. It is necessary in order for the two of them to live together.

Whenever my sons Beagle comes for a visit, he and Vinny play hard, but invariably, Bama will put Vinny in his place. Much growling, showing teeth, sometimes biting. After its over, within 30 minutes they might be sleeping together on the couch. But Vinny always keeps his space from Bama, which is all Bama is trying to do. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Summer & Murphy still do this from time to time. They will be playing and suddenly you hear Summer's warning growl. Thats when I step in. If Murphy doesn't back away, he will be in for it.

Yes, this is normal.

·
Registered
540 Posts
They are often trying to establish the alpha dog thing between themselves. It happens with Brandy and Cecil all the time. Cecil gets her Mohawk up a lot. Sometimes they are just posturing in play. When it gets too intense we step in, but otherwise let them work it out. It often sounds worse than it is. My girls never play rough with others as it's only between each other and establishing position. Also it happens if one has decided that a toy or a location is hers and let's the other know it in no uncertain terms. The other one generally respects that action. Sometimes they nip a ear or leg, but not often. You will get used to it. Having two is such a joy and they are so good together. My girls love each other so very much and make it known in so many ways. Ours often mime a big rough play with silly high voices and open mouths that never touch the other. It's funny to watch......

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ours go from play to serious from time to time too. Crook will get tired and put an abrupt end to the play. Bel will normally roll over and let Crook stand over her and growl. No issues so far though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, that makes me feel better! I am amazed at how well Buckley is adjusting. He has been a spoiled only dog for 4 years now. Sure, he shows a bit of jealousy when we cuddle Jewelie, but he just butts in to show who's #1! But it's so cute to watch them becoming closer, even after only a few days. They now sleep on the love seat side by side, and this morning they were snoozing on my bed, Jewelie with her head on hubby's pillow and Buckley with his head on mine! Sure, it's a little more work, but them having each other to play with *more* than makes up for it.

The only real adjustment has been that Jewelie is used to getting up around 5am. I get up around 6:45...so, about 6:15 she begins whining in her crate. A firm no will settle her down again, but of course, by then I'm awake! I'm sure that will work out with time.

It's just sooooo much fun and I'm crazy in love with her. Of course, I love Buckley as much as ever, but this little girl has a special sweetness! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
My two get like this as well, actually more Sydney than Spencer. It is usually when they are wrestling and they get too rough. Sydney is a lot smaller than Spencer so she gets nasty when he hurts her. I usually just say "Hey, calm down" or "Enough" in a firm voice and they snap out of it.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Siblings do get into little arguments. It is not only normal but also healthy. The only time 2 dogs, or 2 humans never disagree, is when one is overly dominant over the other who does not dare to have an opinion...
Your 2 babies also have to find their position one beside the other. It is normal for pack animals to establish an order, and it is achieved through them arguing with the other. The force of the response from the other determine who will eventually be the alpha.
It is usually recommanded NOT to interfer in their arguments so as to allow them to espablish their packing order. Your involvement is however necessary if the disagreement turns into a real fight. Dogs who are fighting either go for the ears or the testicles. Unless this happens, don't get involved.
If you must get involved, it is also better never to console the weaker one as this interfer with the claim for alpha position of the more dominant one. The best is to either talk to both of them ignoring what just happened, or should you wish for a very dominant alpha (for some reason) to give the attention to the more dominant of the two.

Not interfering with 2 dogs arguing is not always easy. If you really cannot allow them to persue their bickering, simply grab a toy or a treat, talk to them happily, simply to change their attention to something positive. If you do use the treats, make sure to involve some type of excercise such as bringing them outside or in another room right away to ensure that they do not go back to their argument. A treat is not long enough to make them forget their were bickering and should they be baited in the middle of an argument, they may view this as a reward for it.

Whatever you decide to do, let them be or distract them, you can be sure of one thing, their fighting will stop once each one know where they stand, eventhough they will continue from time to time to disagree.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Georgia and Polly will wrestling and whine/bark at each other. Like right now, they are so loud, we can't hear the TV. We have to holler at them to stop it...It's hard for me to think they really like each other at this point... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
But I'm sure they will get along more later when Polly quits acting like such a puppy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts