Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the bad news about wheat gluten and now rice gluten, I'm beginning to wonder about corn gluten. It is near the top of the ingredients list for Beneful. Shiloh has been eating Beneful for 2 or 3 years now with no problem as far as I know. But what if the corn gluten turns out to be contaminated too? And I've read in other places on the net that corn isn't good for dogs anyway. I don't know if I'll wind up changing dog food anyway--I really can't afford the "high priced spread." I'm just checking out different brands just in case. I've heard of a brand of dog and cat food called Life's Abundance. It looks good on their website, but then commercials can make anything look good!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I wondered if anybody has heard of or has tried Life's Abundance? Thanks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's supposed to be a pretty good food. Last year, I got a free sample of the food, and a free dog treat. Gage liked it, but in the end we went with a different food.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
There was a post that included a scale to evaluate dog food -- add so many points for certain ingredients and subtract for others. I did a search for "dog food ratings" but it didn't come up. Maybe someone else can remember the link for the rating scale or find the post.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I know this marks us as bad (or perhaps just very busy) beagle parents, but once in a while we don't quite make it to the vet in time to get more of the hounds' Prescription Diet dog food when we ae about to run out (and living in a condo without much storage space we simply cannot buy it up in any quantity so we do have to buy it pretty much a bag at a time). So when we run out we are left to tide them over with something from the supermarket (given that this always happens later in the day when the pet food stores are also closed...). We have therefore tried a number of the common supermarket brands in these circumstances and I do have to say that Beneful is the one we have had the best results with - they all like it (although none are picky eaters), none of them have ever had any stomach upset from switching to it cold-turkey, and, unlike some others we have tried, Booker's weight does not start to noticeably go up as soon as she starts eating it. So although I haven't done any specific research on the topic, I would say from our experience that Beneful is certainly the one brand we will always happily switch to when necessary.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
An updated list can be found @ www.krem.com ! Our Beags are "off all canned food"... unless it is fit for human consumtion! (As a back-up)...Their "wet-food" mixed with a safe dry food is still being created by us! Goober & Homer just finished the chicken flavored batch. Next on their menu is a deer trimming flavoured batch of "wet-food" to mix with their kibble! :thumbup:
In a "pinch", I will often use a can of condenced soup like chicken noodle soup or beef & veggie soup to make their kibble more appealing! :hapfac01:

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good to know that you've been pleased with Beneful too, BookerMoose. I've never had any problems with it either, and Miss Shiloh seems to like it pretty well. I'm probably just being paranoid. :freak: Thanks for the replies. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Judymaggie, I found the original post I think you were referring to regarding a dog food rating scale. I don't know how to move it to this discussion but I put dog food score in the search engine and came up with a post by JohnSarahandPJ on October 2, 2006. It tells how to score a food by looking at ingredients and even has some foods already scored.

·
Registered
439 Posts
the post your thinking of might have been mine. it was about 2 months ago. lol im looking for that post myself, as ive lost the web site it came from. if ya find it, post it up please.
the post dont need to be moved, just go to the site and bring us a link back. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts