Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how to tittle this but anyway. As I have posted in another thread we are getting a new puppy in 4 weeks now. Up to today we weren't sure if it will be a girl or a boy. Found out today we can get the girl we desire. We have had 2 male beagles and have always wanted to have a girl.
One thing the breeder was saying is that in her opinion and she also said other breeders have said the same - Boy beagles are more affectionate than girl beagles. I would like to have an affectionate beagle both Bazel and Merlin [in rainbow bridge ] were and are affectionate . Merlin was like a big cuddly teddy bear and Bazel loves his pats and company. Merlin would jump on anyones lap if they sat down and he could get up there , he got a bit less agile as he got older.
Well after waffling on a bit my question is for you beagle owners out there with girls and or girls and boys do you think that is true ? Are boys more affectionate than girls. I really have my heart set on a girl but really love the affectionate type. Beagles are such lovely cuddly things, from my experience anyway.

Of course every dog is different but I would like to hear your opinions . Thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We have two dogs: a male Beagle and a female Hound mix. I think that the male is affectionate but much more moody and selective about when he gives affection. He is definitely a lap dog... when he feels like it. Haha.

The female will kiss all over your face or snuggle anytime you get close enough. I think that they are both affectionate but she is probably more openly and obviously affectionate. I don't know if the breed makes a difference or if its just the difference between their personalities.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hmmm. Booker is probably the least affectionate of our four, but Popcorn is probably the most affectionate - and they are both girls. I really do think it depends on the personality of the dog more than gender... and maybe how they were socialized early on?

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I've only had female dogs, but my son's male dog is living with us, and I don't see any difference in affection between he and Maggie...they're both equally affectionate. I've also heard that male dogs are more affectionate, and I've also heard that male cats are more affectionate too. But again, I've only had female cats, so I can't say. I will say that if your heart is set on a female, go ahead and get her. Most all beagles, regardless of sex, are very loving and affectionate anyway!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Our male is much more affectionate than our female. That was my experience growing up also, my parents have three females and not one is affectionate, my grandparents have a female and she is not affectionate. Gunnar wouldn't care if I never took my hands off of him but Daisy only tolerates a little bit of affection and then she's done. All this being said our friends have a female lab who almost lays on you when you go over and wants you to pet her and talk to her the whole time you are there BUT I always kind of thought of Labs being that way.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your replies.
Originally Posted By: Li'l Maggie. I will say that if your heart is set on a female, go ahead and get her. Most all beagles, regardless of sex, are very loving and affectionate anyway!
I think we will . I just wanted to see what you all had to say.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah, I think it depends on the dog. Henry is a male and extremely affectionate, but at the same time not a lap dog at all. He loves to be rubbed and held, but at the same time he's still very respectful of your personal space and doesn't climb all over you. I have never had a dog so devoted to me either; he follows me everywhere and is so sweet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'll just chime in to say that we have both females, and males. Li'l Girl is the only beagle, but I don't think breed is really very pertinent regarding affection. All our dogs are affectionate in varying degrees.

My preference is for females, not because of the affection issue, but because in our experience they've been more obedient and eager to please. I know other people have had the opposite experience, so it usually boils down to a matter of opinion.

If you want a female, I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Henry's mom and Sandyj.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two are equally affectionate. Susi is a lap-dog and would be cuddled non stop. Snoopy likes to be cuddled and tickled behind his ears, but prefers to stand on the floor for it. We had 2 beagle girls before this and they were both very affectionate.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Out of our four pack (2 females/2 males): Sulli (f) is very affectionate, right in your face affectionate, but doesn't lick thank goodness. She loves to be held and cuddled. Maya (f) loves to be petted and loves her tummy rubbed and is a big licker, but does not like to be held. Sam (m) loves to touch you in some way and loves his attention. He doesn't lick and doesn't like to be held too much. Tate (m) only wants belly rub after belly rub after belly rub.

My opinion is that girls are NEEDY and want more attention. They want to be entertained where as the boys are content to go off on their own and entertain themselves. Girls tend to be more hyper also.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've only ever had female dogs so my answer is biased.

My first dog Lilly was extremely affectionate and would happily lie in my lap all day long.

Rosa is affectionate and demanding to the point of being overbearing at times and I have to get up and walk away.

I had a puppy called Daisy for 3 months and she was like Lilly, affectionate but not overbearing.

Sherry is affectionate but on her terms. She does not like to be hugged on the couch but prefers to be stroked and petted on the floor.

I've also fostered a few dogs but they were all females too with varying degrees of affection displayed.

I had a male dog when I still lived at home with my parents and I don't remember him being very affectionate at all really but it was a long time ago so I can't be sure.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Murphy was affectionate in his own way, on his own terms. I would cradle him in my arms and her would grumble for a while, then realize this ain't so bad, settle in, and go to sleep.

Summer and Kali are both VERY affectionate. Summer is always laying across my or Frani's lap and Kali between their choice of legs.

So IMHO, it depends on the dog. It has nothing to do with gender.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you A doghouse, beagletails,Jennifer and Joe Beagles

Originally Posted By: Joe Beagles

So IMHO, it depends on the dog. It has nothing to do with gender.
I think your right especially after reading all the replies.

Thank you for everyones input. I love reading all about what all your beagles love in the way of affection , it warms my heart.

They are such loveable dogs

I am looking forward to our new addition, we go for our first visit on Saturday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
well we have three male whippets and a female boxer dog, we also used to have a boy beagle and a boy boxer and without a doubt all of the boys were and are much more affectionate than our female.

But it might just be her, she is the evil Moonpig or Ming the merciless to us.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Personally I don't think the sex has anything to do with how affectionate a dog is. It's how you interact with the dog at an early age that makes them a playful, affectionate dog who gets along well with humans. From the first day we brought Bodie home we would spend everyday playing with him and showering him with affection. Bodie is very affectionate and loves people.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Caesar is very snuggly...when he wants to be. He loves to sit on my lap. But so does Emma our German Shepherd x. That's right, our 70lb dog thinks she's a lap dog. It's really cute to get both of trying to sit on my lap together

·
Registered
865 Posts
How funny, Toby and Lucky's breeder says the same thing! She says males are more affectionate, too! I have only had males, so I have no experience. I think it has to depend on each dog's individual personality to some extent though. When a breeder says that, they have had many, many dogs come and go and overall maybe males tend to be the more affectionate sex, but certainly that doesn't mean the females aren't affectionate! I think it's like the tendency for females to be more obedient, while it certainly isn't always true, most dog trainers I have ever met say there is definitely some truth to it in a big picture sense. I want my next beagle to be female! With a husband, two sons, and two male beagles I could use a little female personality in the house!!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:personally I don't think the sex has anything to do with how affectionate a dog is. It's how you interact with the dog at an early age that makes them a playful, affectionate dog who gets along well with humans. From the first day we brought Bodie home we would spend everyday playing with him and showering him with affection. Bodie is very affectionate and loves people.
I've always believed that every animal Karen and I have raised from a puppy, kitten, or whatever, was as affectionate as they all seem to have been, because we are very touchy-feely with them from the beginning.
I just wish we had been more persistent with Sadie about nail trims and teeth brushing. Now it's nearly imposable.

I used to think there was a general difference in personality between male and female dogs, but after living with a few of each, I think it was just a preconceived idea.
Females are easier to give belly rubs to... Nothing in the way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts