Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got luna at 8 weeks, she's now about 6 months. I got sylar at 6 months last week. They just don't get along when me or my girlfriend are around. They fight for our attention ( or so it seems), and it's not just puppy play time, there's growling and whimpering. I stop it when it gets out of hand, but I'd like for them to be able to play like their first day meeting. I keep them separated for the most part now. what would you people who have raised 2 puppies at once done to solve this issue?

PS - I know raising them simultaneously is bad/a lot of work, but my friend got sylar at 8 weeks and now their landlord won't let her keep him, and I don't want to see a VERY well-behaved (never formally trained, but comes when called most of the time) pup go to the shelter or worst. Gotta go but i'll add more info later.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Probably the best thing to do is establish a pecking order and stick with it - I think your dogs would be more comfortable knowing their place. It's worked out well in my house. My boyfriend and I got Spock in late July last year, then got Bones in early January of this year. Spock is older and was in our family first, so he always gets his food first, gets treats first, gets attention first, etc. Strictly enforcing the pecking order has helped out with Bones' dominance issues. They do play fight like little chainsaws still, but there isn't a real violence to it. Edit: And since your puppies are still youngish, they're going to be more rambunctious. Spock is 15 months old and has calmed down a lot, but Bones (13 months) has barely slowed down from when she first came to live with us.

A friend of mine had an elderly poodle (about 15 pounds), a bratty Yorkie (6 pounds), and a Great Pyr (100+ pounds), as well as a succession of foster dogs. In the pecking order, the elderly poodle came first, the Yorkie second, the Great Pyr third, and the foster dog was last. It kept the bratty one in line, kept the largest dog from feeling like he could potentially get away with harming the 2 smaller dogs (though he was the sweetest, gentlest, most loyal dog ever), and kept peace among the resident dogs when a foster came along, as well as taught the foster some discipline.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I totally didn't think of the pecking order being an issue. You're right on that. It's mostly Luna that attacks him for no obvious reason, and the bigger fella is going to bite back, of course.
Sylar doesn't get rowdy at all, only when he's feeding off her energy.

Do/did you allow them to hang out around each other? Im not sure whether to keep them around each other, or keep them separated. I know that if I keep them together, they might develop a primary bond between themselves, but they will both flock to me and my girlfriend when we come around them.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Luckily, that has not been a problem with Duke and Violet, they play fight constantly, but I can put my hand down in the mix of it and not even come away with a scratch and they never hurt each other, either. I think Eve's chainsaw description is perfect!

Cassie does have issues with Vi on occasion because Cassie is old, grumpy and the dominant female, by far. We do let her have top pecking order, but if she is mean to Violet intentionally, we scold her and make her apologize. It's easier for us, we've had Cassie 12 years, so she knows what we want and expect from her.

Puppy school and obedience training can work wonders. It will teach your dogs to obey you (well, really it will teach you how to train them to obey you) and until you can make them listen to you, there's no way you can make them be nice to each other. A trainer can help you deal with the jealousy, as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I second Zookeeper's recommendation of training. I haven't been able to get mine to training, though I wanted to, but I believe that would help a lot in my case as well as yours, Ddlaz!

We did not keep them apart during the day, letting them hang out with one another and play a lot. It didn't take long for them to become friends - I think they worked out things with one another rather quickly. My boyfriend was lucky enough to have a week off work when we got Bones, so he was at home all that time to keep an eye on them and split up any serious fights that might have transpired. The dogs are best friends now and do forgo the attentions of humans sometimes to play with one another, but both are still loving with us and all people, and Spock especially is closely bonded to my boyfriend and me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts