Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luna's housetraining progress has gotten a lot better with a few incidents here and there, but another issue I have with her is her eating.

I feed her 3 times a day. The amount of food, I couldn't really say, I just fill it to a certain amount in a dixie cup.

The problem is that when she eats, she eats VERY little, then she leaves the bowl and takes her toys out of her crate and starts playing with that. Then soon after she gets bored, she might stop back for a bite...then repeat. All in all, she barely ever finishes it all within 30 mins. I'm thinking she's still used to having food available all the time.

I've tried to lock her toys in the crate so she can't play when she's supposed to eat. I've tried putting the food in a secluded area with nothing else to do but eat. No luck, she'll only eat a little then stop for awhile.

Any tips or ideas on how to get her to eat all or most in one sitting?

I don't like to take her food away and she'll crave it shortly after by going to the place where her food is stored. I'm also afraid she's not getting enough food in her system and possibly losing weight or something. Should I even be worried?

Thanks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Don't force her. If she doesn't want to eat, she's not hungry. If she eats at least more than half her bowl within 30 minutes, that's fine. Then remove the food bowl and on her next meal give her the portion she should be getting (without adding what she didn't eat before).

Don't worry, she won't starve and she will learn eventually that food is limited and when it's provided - she eats!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think I just have to be patient. If i put the food in my hand, she'll eat all of it...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yeah, they tend to do that. Chloe will eat out of my hand even if she just finished a 7 course meal /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I caution you about hand-feeding your pup's regular dog food. It is a hard habit to break. It is really only recommended for dogs who are ill and need special encouragement (and human contact) to eat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.