Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 11 week old Beagle named Buckley.

He is doing alright so far, but he WILL NOT walk on a leash. He wants to hang around the area where he does his business and nothing else. If you walk away from this area, he won't budge. You can drag him 50 yards and he still won't budge. When you walk back TOWARDS his area he will walk right beside you with no problems.

Please tell me how to get him to walk wherever I go! I have tried treats, they won't work.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Welcome to the Beagle Family! They are tricky little buggers ain't they!!!???

Are you using a leash only or a harness? I have found that with my Wonder Twins, they don't do leashes, only harness! Plus I don't feel so badly about dragging them around :raspberry: !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Tammy:
Welcome to the Beagle Family! They are tricky little buggers ain't they!!!???

Are you using a leash only or a harness? I have found that with my Wonder Twins, they don't do leashes, only harness! Plus I don't feel so badly about dragging them around :raspberry: !
Thanks for the reply. I am using a regular leash. Shall I try a harness? Like I said, he walks fine on a leash as long as we are heading TOWARDS his spot where he does his business.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Welcome to you and your Beagle pal.

One method you may want to try is to keep a pocket full of treats or kibble and every few steps he takes with you, you can give him a treat. Hopefully that will work for you.

We used this method to teach a fearful Beagle to go down a stairwell. We put a piece of kibble on each step and as she went down a few times she learned there was nothing to be afraid of.

·
Registered
509 Posts
lol I had the same problem with Glover! he is 11 weeks too.

but I gave him a break for a few days then tried again with treats and toy's, he is still very excited to get back to the backyard though and knows excactly where to go!

good luck! and welcome!

xx
K & G

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:Originally posted by GloverCharlie:
lol I had the same problem with Glover! he is 11 weeks too.

but I gave him a break for a few days then tried again with treats and toy's, he is still very excited to get back to the backyard though and knows excactly where to go!

good luck! and welcome!

xx
K & G
I will just keep trying. I am not going to put extraordinary effort into it, because in the end, it is my way or the highway.

I understand Beagles are stubborn but so am I. He will do as I say or he won't be a very happy pet.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote: I understand Beagles are stubborn but so am I. He will do as I say or he won't be a very happy pet.
Try the harness ,remember he is just a puppy and everything right now is all new to him. He will get there ! I know he is jumpimg up and down on that last nerve,but give him a break ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah go with the harness. Although I only had Chihuahuas prior to The Children, I still feel that a leash alone is not good for a puppy's neck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by fsufan:

I understand Beagles are stubborn but so am I.
I prefer the term independent instead of stubborn. Beags will do just about anything you want them to... If there's something in it for them...

He will do as I say or he won't be a very happy pet.
Silly human... Buckley's just waiting until he breaks you (they can be very patient)! Don't worry. In no time, that beagle instinct to roam will kick in and he'll be walking you all over the place!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was having the same problem with my pup. Just give Buckley sometime. He'll come around.

Btw, Welcome to you and your pup! :wave:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

Just an update, Buckley just went on his longest walk ever! He was so good, very little pulling and he stayed with me most of the way.

I guess it will just take time, but I am also going to purchase a harness.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Everthing is new to a puppy at 11 weeks. Some pups may not be comfortable with a leash around the neck.

I had the same problem with Beagle #1 that you are having. He did much better on a walk with the harness. Beagle # 2 has no problem on a leash.

Good luck and welcome to our little community.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!

Just an update, Buckley just went on his longest walk ever! He was so good, very little pulling and he stayed with me most of the way.

I guess it will just take time, but I am also going to purchase a harness.
I knew he would get it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Didn't have this problem with Marley (wow) but sometimes he would get his nose stuck on a smell and would want to stand ground and not continue moving, I then called his name enhusiastically and said Come Marley, and patted my leg, he would run to me all excited, even if it was just a step or two, and I would start walking immediately. Worked well.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
How about a treat? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
A harness is easier to handle and safer on them, but won't work much if they just don't want to budge. 11 weeks might be too young to walk on leash properly, takes time. Charlie did that to me when he was young. Now he charges along.
Charlie's trainer said this little on"Charlie" needs to go noicy on him. Keep talking, "let's go", he'll get distracted easily with his nose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
snap!

i also have an 11 week old beagle puppy, pippa. she bounds around the house and garden like no tomorrow and is happy walking near the front door but as soon as we start to walk away from the house she tugs backwards, wimpers and sometimes sits down refusing to move. i read in a training book, its me or the dog by victoria stillwell, that you just wait with the puppy until they get bored, although this could take a long time. so this is what i try to do. \when she does walk i give her lots of fuss and treats. hopefully it will work.
as soon as we start walking back towards the house she is bounding forward trying to get back home!
i thought beagles were mad for the outdoors ha ha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts