Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there certain toys to keep away from a puppy? Snoopy has these raw hide bones, very small and thin, b/c that is what he likes. The pup loves them and this is the souce of a lot of fights b/t the two of them. I have to keep the pup in the crate to let him chew his toys....but I want to make sure this one is safe for him..

..here is a pic

That is what I deal with all day!!! :eyes:
but the bone that Marbles has, is it safe? It is small and he and Snoopy love them

Amanda

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Manda, I woudn't worry too much. However!!! I did hear that rawhide is not highly recommended to dogs, so I guess that puppies are even more not recommended to have them. I don't know why this is, but if you are not sure, I would just not give it to either of them.
Try maybe one of the bigger bones that they can only chew on but not "eat" (like those leg bones...) or even a kong. I'm sure Marbles will love a kong.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't know about that type of rawhide, but I'll relate an experience I had. One time when Li'l Girl was chewing on a rawhide chip, Traveler came in and, because she was afraid he'd get it, she swallowed it whole. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Like to have scared me to death because I was afraid she'd get a blockage.

Fortunately nothing bad happened, but that was the last time any of my pack got a rawhide of any type.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I gave them to my cocker Charlie, but am not going to with Marley. I can remember being scared with Charlie that it was gonna get stuck. He did chew as much or as long as he should have.

And I love the pic by the way.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I used to give rawhide to Boeing and had to stop when I saw blood stain on some chewed pieces. I guess they were too hard for his tender gum or maybe had some rough edges. My vet also told me that rawhide chewies are not easily digestible (I'm talking about the locally produced ones).

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Lovely photo!
I dont want to be a spoil-sport, but we wont have raw-hide items in the house. A Dutch friend of ours came home to find her Basenji had managed to get the remains of a rawhide bone, which our friend had put on top of a shelf, down and it got stuck in the dogs throat. The poor thing died a terrible death. So if you still want to feed them, make sure someone is there incase that happens.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Personally, I don't use rawhide bones. I've just heard too many horror stories about bad things happening. There are other things you can buy at the pet shop that are like a rawhide but not as dangerous. Jersey gets these huge sow ears that they sell. They also have the snouts and hooves and other things like that but they are just too gross looking to give to her. I've heard good things about bully sticks too (they are long and twisty).

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't know about puppies with adult toys, but Snoopy shouldn't be allowed to play with that blue puppy kong, for example. It's good that you're keeping the smaller toys contained.

Congrats on your new dog! Is it helping with Snoopy's separation anxiety?

·
Registered
862 Posts
We have sow ears (or cow ears, calf ears, whichever are available) too, and Boeing just loves them. Occasionally, there are hooves too, but I agree with Jen in that they look gross. The image of Boeing gnawing on a hoof is just too much for me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts