Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snoopy is 9 months old. I was wondering at what age most of you have seen a transition in your beagles. In other words when they become more calm. I understand Beagles are active dogs, but there is a level that is associated with being a puppy. Just curious what to expect. I know different breeds seem to grow up faster than others and I have never had a Beagle before. What are everyone's thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
In our experience, beagles typically mature and 'calm down' at about 2 years of age. By that I mean that they are housebroken and can be trusted in the house on their own when we are home.

We always, however restrict their access to the house when we are not home. We either crate them or contain them in our kitchen with baby gates limiting their access to just the kitchen area.

Occasional 'accidents' of the housebreaking kind might happen, but they are few and far between.

While the pups are young, they are not allowed unlimited access to the home without strict supervision, and we have always maintained a strict crate training routine. We have housebroken two puppies that we have raised in this way, and we have had much success. The pups earn 'privileges' (full access to the house, etc.) with supervision after about 6 months of age and continue to mature until they understand the 'house rules' at about 2 years of age.

Others' experiences may vary, but this has been ours.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I didn't seem to notice a difference untill Coco was about 2 yrs old as well. He started to become alot more calmer and seemed to listen more although he turns into a spaz even now and then

·
Registered
147 Posts
Regal turned 1 in May and for the past 3 or so months I notice a real difference in him. He'll now take a bone/toy and go sit by himself and play with it. He's not as in your face as he used to be and is more comfortable in his day to day routine.

We still have a ways to go, but it's nice to notice changes. He got an extra greenie on Wednesday nice because he was so well behaved when grandma was visiting!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I think Maggie started to calm down at about 15 to 18 months. We started leaving her out of her crate when we left the house for short times when she was 2 and now at 3 she has full privledges and is out of her crate all the time during the day. She still prefers to sleep in the crate at night.
I sometimes miss the puppy craziness. Right after I made that comment a while back Maggie raced through the living room with my daughter's underwear in her mouth and that naughty gleam in her eye. I was glad to see it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for asking Snoopy's dad! I was wondering the same thing...looks like I have a way to go since Rocky is only 4mths old!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone that has responded. These are some of those little things that you sit there and wonder. I would love to hear more responses. My wife can't wait for him to calm down.
Now that we just got the litte Chihuahua (Ramie), they stay active playing constantly. They can't leave each other alone.

·
Registered
511 Posts
This got me to thinking about the changes in Murphy in the 7 months we've had him. He will be 9 months old next week.

I am now comfortable leaving him alone in the house with the freedom to do what he pleases for an hour or two at a time. I've been doing this on occasion for the last month or so. So far no problems. Anything more than a trip to town (such as all day at work) and he has to go to the laundry room.

He no longer has to be glued to me during the day. We get up around 5:00, and from 5:00 to 7:30 we get our showers, breakfast, coffee and go for a 3-4 mile walk. Shortly before 8:00 AM Murphy curls up on the couch (in the living room) while I'm in my office working. For the first 3-4 months he had to be on my lap or right next to me. Around 10:30 or 11:00 he wakes up and comes to let me know he's ready to go outside for a bit.

I can't recall the last time he had an accident in the house. It's been at least a month or so.

I'm comfortable leaving him outside for an hour or two with the invisible fence. He lets me know when he wants in.

He's still a puppy, but I'm starting to see the adult dog he will become emerge. I'm very happy with what I see so far. I'm not sure if I could put a specific time on when he will become a dog rather than a puppy. Murphy still gets the zoomies, still grabs a sock or my wifes bra and proudly runs through the house with it. He still keeps us howling with laughter most of the time.

I hope that never changes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I remember coming here wondering when My Charlie was going to act normal...well What I thought was normal I thought he had problems and pulling out my hair when I adopted him, so many of beagle owners assured me it would get better:)and have to say it has, he's a little gentlman, he gets zoomies and sillyness now and again but he is great I'm glad I waited this out he will be 3 in Sept I think I started to notice around 2 and half or a tad less.

Sad thing is.....the things that made me wanna pull my hair out and thinking something was wrong with him..................I ACTUALLY MISS *SIGH*

·
Registered
959 Posts
Beagles and calm ---- hmmmmm I don't believe any of our three have been calm dogs. They have been filled with energy until the day they passed over the Bridge. If by calm you mean walking with us, learning commands, yea, they are calm at 2 yrs. old. But nope, I read a saying when we got our first that said Beagles are puppies till the day they die and with ours that has been definitely true.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Love the Cassidy video.
I can't remember when Bazel and Merlin calmed down I remember how crazy Bazel went when we got Merlin when Bazel was 9 months old so he was still very hypo then.
I wonder the same thing now we have Millie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts