Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Glover is a clever cookie but Id like him to go to puppy school, the problem is they are all finished for the year as it is christmas time!! yay!

Do you think its ok to wait untill January to start? I know its only a month and there is an obedience class starting then as he will be too old for puppy school but do you think Ive done wrong not making sure he goes to puppy school earlyer?

lol its too late now though but Ive read everywhere that the earlyer you do it the better the dog.. He will be 4 months when he starts.

xx
k and G

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
It's never too late to start training. I would say work on things that you can at home until then so that he will be more than ready when you start. Play the name game (calling his name and reward for responding to it) and work on the sit command (lure the dog when they are standing, have a treat in your hand and palm up, go over their head with the treat. They will lean back to smell the treat and automatically do a sit. Reward for the sit). I think that you will be fine, most places, you either do puppy or Basic I which is the same thing, just different aged dogs. Good luck!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dont think it will make a huge difference starting at 4 months Stan started at about 3months and he is very obedient. i would start the training at home work on getting Glover to come when called. To teach him to sit hold a treat to his nose as he smells it lift it up and he should sit so he can reach the treat. To get him to lie down do the same get him to follow the treat from the sit position to the floor and he should lie down maybe not first time but he will. The important thing is not to say the command until he is in the right position then say it so he associates the position with the command then after a while use the command first /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
hope that all helps
PS my pup trainer says you have to do something at least 7 times before the pup will completely get it so have lots of patients

1 - 3 of 3 Posts