Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By chance we got Glover into a puppy school and first class was today!

It was SO much fun! we both had a blast!

I was a bit nervous that he would be stamped as the class clown but he was an 'angel'!!

Im so proud of my baby boy! and I finally got him to respond to some commands like down and come!
he was actually much quicker to catch on than any of the other pups! (theres the beagle for ya hey!)

he made so many friends too, although he is (not to be rude) humping allot... witch is REALLY embarrassing! but apparently normal... he is only 4 months!! I didn't know they would do that so much so young!!

Anyway, just thought Id share the news!

x
K :happyhappy:

·
Registered
751 Posts
wonderful! Glad to hear it.

Sounds like he is still similar to Marley. The humping is a dominance thing, and we have somewhat dominant pups. With neutering that will go away after some time.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Marley's Mommy:
wonderful! Glad to hear it.

Sounds like he is still similar to Marley. The humping is a dominance thing, and we have somewhat dominant pups. With neutering that will go away after some time.
oh yeah he is definetly getting the snip! lol

x
K

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yay Glover! :happyhappy:
I've been thinking of getting my Sadie in a class for adult dogs. It would be good for her and for me. We definitely need help with certain commands. Like "come". She does fine most of the time inside but outside is another story.

·
Registered
122 Posts
WOW puupy school, never thought there is something like that, what do they learn there?
and my humper is a she and just 5 months old? where did she learn it??? haha

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Very good!! Puppy classes are great and fun.

Our female Sadie used to hump our male Pooh Bear when they were little. I was horrified thinking that something was wrong with our little girl. I talked to our vet and she said when Sadie humps Pooh it is nothing sexual at all. She was just showing her dominance over Pooh Bear. The are both 8 now, fixed at age 4 and Sadie is most definitely the leader of the pack.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Congrats in puppy class. We have started beginning 2 times. We have never been able to properly establish the come and lie down commands. They are good girls though. Now almost 2-1/2 yrs, my girl Cecil still humps, though it is only me. She does it when I am giving Brandy "too much" attention, when I want to get up from the sofa and she does not want me too and when she is tired and wants to go to bed, i.e. get those bedtime treats and be tucked into her bed in her kennel. I know it's dominance issues, but my vet laughs and says it's because she loves me so. Tried all sorts of things, but she still does it. Now its almost funny! Brandy, miss alpha dog, only humps Cecil once in a while when they are establishing alpha issues. She never does it to anyone or anything else or any other dog, just her sister. Cecil never does it to Brandy, just me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Way to go, Glover!!
Maggie's funniest "humping" story was when she and I were living in Jacksonville, FL and evacuated our house during hurricane season. We both went to a friend's home where she and her big (95 lb.!) dog lived. He came near Maggie one time too many -- when he was lying on the floor, Maggie snuck up behind him and mounted him. He literally screamed, shook Maggie off and ran around the house howling. Maggie just casually walked off and acted like nothing had happened. Of course, all the humans were laughing hysterically!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:Originally posted by doronkoll:
WOW puupy school, never thought there is something like that, what do they learn there?
and my humper is a she and just 5 months old? where did she learn it??? haha
lol so Pita humps too! lol

well they learn to socialize with other puppies and simple commands like sit, down, stay etc

its great fun, you should see if there is one near you. At 5 months Pita might be a bit old for Puppy school (over here its 4 months and younger) but there could be obedience schools around, that is what Glover is going to do in February!! its really like an agility club, they learn all sort of tricks and as they get older they do harder things.

anyway, hope you find something!
x
K

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks all for your story's, lol

my boyfriend had some guys over the other day and glover decided he'd like to hump all of their legs... lol Michael didn't know what to say!!

x
K

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke LOVED puppy school. I was worried that we would have the class clown, but there was another beagle in the class that was way more out of control than Duke.LOL

He learned basic commands and socialization with other puppies. We'd get into the car to go and he perked up and literally strutted into the PetSmart where classes were held.

We're seriously contemplating intermediate classes just because he enjoyed them so much and lord knows, he could use more training!

Have fun with your puppy school, you will see such a huge difference at the end of the course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts