Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My wife and I have not long got ourselves a beagle puppy. We've had him from 8 weeks and he is now almost 14 weeks old. Everything about him is great, walks are no troubles, feeding is no trouble although he gets excited! He is generally no trouble at all apart from potty training in the house.

Just this moment he went to pee in the house so I took him outside. He peed and I rewarded him with a treat, about a minute later the same again but no treat as I didn't have one to hand. I took him back into the house and he peed twice in the living room. This happens often and we are getting tired having to constantly mop up dispite him relieving outside moments before. The only way I can get him not to pee for any amount of time is to crate him. I know he can hold his bladder as he can stay crated for 2 hours with no problem at all.

Other than that he is a pleasure. I walk him off the lead and he goes no further that 20ft away from me (almost like I'm leading the hunt). When I stop he will come sit by my side.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
195 Posts
You need to make sure you are cleaning the inside area really well. A good enzyme pet cleaner should do the trick. If your dog smalls any trace of urine in that spot he may keep going back to that same area. Also if you see your dog start to pee in the house, say "NO" in a big loud voice. If he stops immediately take him outside. You should have a word or expression such as "go potty" that you say when you do take him out. As soon as he does his business outside, give him a treat.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My suggestions, make sure you are taking him out to the same spot and that you are using the same word each time(like potty).

Take him out every 20 mineuts or so and when hes not outside make sure he is either leased to you in the house or in a highly visible area.That way if he starts to potty you are right there to correct him. If you can catch him in the moment, great, if you miss it, trying to tell him no or bad after the fact doesnt do anything .

My beagle is almost a year old got him in mid October and he still has accidents in the house. However they are few and far between :)
It can take awhile to potty train puppies...so hang in there and dont get discouraged :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have been told by many people that beagles are notoriously difficult to housebreak. My dog wasn't so bad when I got her because she was older and knew the concept. The problem we had was recognizing her signal. Frequent trips outside will help. Try getting him on a kind of schedule. Take him out as soon as he wakes and about 10 minutes after he eats. Also when he is playing and stops, take him out. If you plan on having him neutered (I hope) that will help too. Though he might be a little too young to "mark" now. I had a terrier that would go every 10 minutes if I let him out. Be patient, he will get it eventually.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I aggree
Pup needs to be on a set schedule.
Take out every 20 minutes and adjust from there, including over night outting for a while.
Clean inside

What I do not see is a walk times. If your taking puppy inside after peeing the puppy will accosiate going to the bathroom with going inside. Not soemthing you want. Instead take puppy out, say go potty one time. After a few minutes if nothing say in the house and go inside. Keep puppy leashed to you. Go back outside in about 5 minutes. Repeat until pop goes potty. Then say YES good pup and take puppy for a 15 minute walk.

This teaches puppy that nothing good happends until pee is done. That go potty means just that and go in the house means potty time is over. (excallt when you have an adult dog and have .30seconds to pee them before beign late for work)

A walk also helps the puppy mark terratorty, boy dogs are notorious for having to pee on about 100 things.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know that "time and patience" is the normal reply to your question, but I took a more aggressive approach during potty training. I got Charlie when he was 3 months. The shelter where I go him from actually started his potty training by allowing the dogs to hav free access to go out to relieve themselves hand come in to eat and sleep. From day one I would wake and take Charlie out before I went to work. After the first week or so of getting up at 5am, he would readily wait to go out to relieve himself. I believe he wanted to get back in bed as soon as possible more than anything but he understood that we weren't going back in until he did. We would do this after every meal and when he would start to walk and sniff. There were a few accidents (like the time he was running to the door but couldn't hold it), but otherwise it was an easy and fast process. He now nudges or goes to the door when he needs to go out. I would say that it took about a month for him to be completely potty trained. Of course each dog is different, just be consistent and patient.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi everyone,

My wife and I have not long got ourselves a beagle puppy. We've had him from 8 weeks and he is now almost 14 weeks old. Everything about him is great, walks are no troubles, feeding is no trouble although he gets excited! He is generally no trouble at all apart from potty training in the house.

Just this moment he went to pee in the house so I took him outside. He peed and I rewarded him with a treat, about a minute later the same again but no treat as I didn't have one to hand. I took him back into the house and he peed twice in the living room. This happens often and we are getting tired having to constantly mop up dispite him relieving outside moments before. The only way I can get him not to pee for any amount of time is to crate him. I know he can hold his bladder as he can stay crated for 2 hours with no problem at all.

Other than that he is a pleasure. I walk him off the lead and he goes no further that 20ft away from me (almost like I'm leading the hunt). When I stop he will come sit by my side.

Any suggestions?
I am jealous, my puppy is 12 weeks, he is peeing everywhere, nightmare with leash, and nipping and bitting.. the only good thing, at night he can hold it for 7hours. Did you do any training wiyh him with
the leash ?

·
Registered
Apollo
1 Posts
I am jealous, my puppy is 12 weeks, he is peeing everywhere, nightmare with leash, and nipping and bitting.. the only good thing, at night he can hold it for 7hours. Did you do any training wiyh him with
the leash ?
Our puppy almost 14 weeks as well. I got him a puppy harness and a 6 foot leash. I leash him on it, in the house with that. Its doesn't pull but potty training him on his regular leash and the six feet.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
the leash ?
Do you have a good enzyme cleaner to help clean and really get rid of the smells? That should help. That and take him out every hour, after meals, after big drinks - until he stops peeing in the house. It's a pain, I know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you have a good enzyme cleaner to help clean and really get rid of the smells? That should help. That and take him out every hour, after meals, after big drinks - until he stops peeing in the house. It's a pain, I know.
Everything all worked out, i got to work from home. So i took him out for hours and he finally anderstood the outdoor potty place. Now we he get crazy, i ran downstairs and he runs with straight to it and when he is done, he looks at me for his treat. He is so cute.. he now potty on comand.. i am so happy. Next step, make him not reactive around other dogs.. he is so friendly he thinks he should play with everybody on the streets even people. My other challenge is to make him not eat things outside.. he picks up so many random stuff in his mouth (glass, walnut shells, wood, paper, bags) i tried to take them of his mouth but it is making it worse, he quicly try to eat it when i say drop it..😪

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Oh good job with the potty training! That's great.

Sounds like teaching him leave it would be good...all of my dogs figured that out with enough repetitions. There are more formal ways of course.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bump as I am sure this is a sensitive subject for lots of new owners. I'll add my (very frustrating) experience. Our boy has been mostly good but with lapses that really frustrate as usually there is not often a reason or even a hint.

I do find that separation anxiety is maybe a trigger, he just had 2 full days in a row with zero accidents and I was feeling pretty smug but then I went to the kitchen to make a cup of tea and he started yelping for me and in the space of 2 minutes had pee'd on the floor. Then later in the day less than 10 minutes after going outside he went right in the middle of the lounge floor :mad: I have laminate flooring which inone way is good but I suspect the pee gets down the gap between panels which is impossible to clean properly.

So 2 steps forward and 2 steps back here. I am working from home so take him out a lot and let him spend time in his run too so I am struggling to know what else to do other than to keep plugging away!

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
For some reason Beagles seem to be slow in getting potty-reliant. It took my dog nearly a year and I am home full time to monitor. I kept my dog restricted in a tiled area..no total freedom in the house. My dog is 9.8 yrs.. when my dog has to go she'll bark at the door..when i open the door I tell her what to do..! "go peepee" (meant for both). That way she doesnt get disreacted and come in and pee. She gets a tiny treat reward for doing it outside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a now almost 5 month old beagle. House training has been absolutely horrible. We got him at 6 weeks and he is just now 95% pee pad trained. He still pees in the floor on occasion but not all the time. We still let him out of the kennel to pee every 2 to 3 hours. And with that he started peeing on himself in the kennel from time to time. He even pooped himself in there 2 times. He hasnt not been left more than 3 hours without a potty break. We take him out as well. He sometimes seem untrainable with house training. Im glad he is now pee pad trained for the most part but i need him trained to go outside. And asap!

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Do you have any secure yard for the dog to go out and potty? Pee pads in the house delays training..a dog cant figure pee pad vs rug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts