Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My first message, so please behave... ;-)

We have a cute little 4.5 months puppy. She's really adorable and get a lot of attention werever we're going. Her name is lychee (like the fruit you know...).

Recently, we took her to a dogs exhibition. One referee gave her the best mark. The second gave her the second best mark, and mentioned she's a little fat =\

Beforehand, we didn't notice to any exceptional fat issue with her, but since then we're having doubts if we need to decrease her food.

On the one hand, if you touch her ribs area, you can feel the ribs. When she's standing her chest area is downward then her belly.
On the other hand, we saw her twin in the contest, and she was seen like 3/4 from her. Like someone starve her, and she didn't grow up like our little lychee.

We're feeding her Orijen, since we've read and heard it's a really quality food. Sh'es playing with dogs almost every day on the park near to our house. We've heard we can't jogging with her yet, since she's still growing up. So her practicing is with toys we throw her, and the dogs in the park.

Regarding treats - We don't give her too much. Only when training her.

What do you think ?

1) Do we need to decrease her food, or just wait to the decrease it like Orijen manufacturer recommends on 6 months old ?

2) Does Orijen is good for beagles ? Does someone here use it and have a good experience with it ? Her grower told me that lychee seems a little brighter (blonder :) ) then her other sisters and brothers, and it's because of the food. I like her blonde coat though... What do you think ?

Any other advices are welcome...

Many thanks in advance,
Inbar & Kobi (-:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Hi welcome and I will try so hard to behave LOL :hyper:

OK orijen = excellant food. Love this food. Fed it. And yes if you have a weight gainer you will have to watch carefully.

However a couple things to ccnsider first.
Remember human version of too skinny is generaly the perfect weight for a dog. Feeling the ribs, seeing an indent of a wasit line is good.

She is still a young dog. She has time to grow into herself.

Is she spayed? If so then I would do the transistion. But just monitor her weight. If she looses to omuch=increase food if she gains too much decrease food.

Coat color is genetics.

I would just go with your own gut on that. Weight her so you an get a feel of her weight. And this is actually one thing the vet can have a vailid thought on! LOL

I keep an eye on the waist indent. When that disapears I know I must consider something.

Here is a good chart
http://media.wiley.com/Lux/18/109618.image0.jpg

See the indent on Ideal? there is a top indent and a tummy indent for the waist.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Orijin is an excellent food. very high in protein. My Gordie was on it but it was a little to high so we switched to Acana which is the same company. the food keeps their coats soft and bright and very healthy. my vet said my Gordie could lose 2 pounds max. a healthy dog should have a defined waistline and you should feel the ribs with a gentle touch, they should not be protruding and you should not have to press to hard. i honestly would not take the comment to serious. if you do anything i would say increase excersise do not decrease food until after being spade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Brandy and Darren - Thanks for the replies !

Looking on the waistline link, although the upward phtoes looks like rats more than dogs :) , it seems like our Lychee is something between the ideal and heavy. Much closer to the heavy pic.

She's not spayed. The thing is that she still grows and her weight is increasing. Which means, according to the Orijen manufacturer, we should increase the food.

Since the exhibition last week She's doing more practicing. However, I still wonder if we should decrease the food, or just be patient until thw 28th week, in order to decrease it.

Damn =\

Orijen recommended puppy feeding here ---> Orijen

·
Registered
25 Posts
well My gordie is 40lbs and the vet said he would only need to loose 2lbs. sounds like yours is still growing. my gordie gets 1 1/2 cups of food per day. not sure how much your feeding with orijin but with it being high protein it should be less than this. remember growing pups need more food. but i think if you just keep her more active you should be fine. i take Gordie to the park a minimum of 2 times a week, i also live in a condo so he gets pleanty of walks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I rarely go by what the bag says. xD I just go by my dogs. If you think that, at any point, your dog needs to cut back on food, cut back on food. However, with a growing puppy, you obviously don't want to cut back too much.

When your dog is older, and her joints are closed, there are going to be a lot more exercise options available. That doesn't mean, if she is overweight, you can't begin to do some stuff about it now. You can increase exercise, maybe go swimming with her if an extra walk isn't possible, and try cutting back on whatever treats she may be getting.

For example, when she's older, like you mentioned in your post, jogging is an option. I'm gonna do weight pulling with my dogs. I also have Bilbo and Frodo ride my bike with me. They both do agility, and one may do Flyball. So...doggy sports. Fun, and good exercise for the most part.

As for coat color...like said before, coat color is genetics. HOWEVER, a healthy/"glowing" coat can be produced by a good diet and what not. Bilbo's coat used to be horrid; it lacked any sort of shine and he shed quite a bit. Wellness CORE helped to take care of the worst of his shedding, and his coat began to look way healthier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regarding the coat: It's really shining and looks very good. It's just the color - She's blonder than her sisters and bro :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts