Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age is a Beagle no longer a considered a puppy and is an adult beagle? Forgive me if this is a silly questions?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I beleive that one year is the age when a dog is generally considered an adult and not a puppy. Give or take a few months depending on the breed as some mature faster than others. Jersey was very puppy like until she was about 18 months old.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe, now at 20 months old, is starting to act like an adult dog. I say that with reservations, as she often acts and plays like a puppy.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Kirby-ohAlso, beagles are puppies for far longer than, say, Alaskan Malamutes. In some ways, they are always puppies.
Actually - this is not correct. When talking about a dog going from puppy hood to adult hood the definition is that the 'pup' has reached physical maturity. A beagle physically matures from 12-18 months.

Larger breeds like Malamutes will take a much longer time to mature than beagles, because they are a larger breed
They will take longer to grow and reach physical maturity. Smaller breeds develop faster and larger breeds develop more slowly.

Often you hear people talking about beagles and saying they are puppies for life, or never mature - this is more to do with the beagle character than the dog's actual physical maturity or age.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Kirby-ohAh, that's true. I was thinking of it more in the way of comparison to wolf puppies.
Malamutes and wolves aren't the same species though, but even then, wolves are a bigger animal and would taken longer to develop into adulthood than a beagle anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts