Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of threads on this but I cant seem to stop Buddy from biting my hands and latching onto my sleeves and pants.

I have tried the loud ouch it does nothing he just wants to play more. I tried putting a chew toy in his mouth he doesnt want it just my hands. Walking away doesnt do anything either. When he latches onto my sleeves or pants he growls and bites harder. I have to pick him up he will growl for a second but then calm down in about 1 minute. I know its jusy puppy play but still i dont want him to do it when he gets older.

I found this video on youtube yesterday and tried it once and it was very effective. He stopped right away and just sat there. But i dont know if its a good way to stop him. Any suggestions?

thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLJqCFQjqRA

·
Registered
320 Posts
When Zelda had her sharp puppy teeth the vet showed us a few things.

We would push her and hold her down by the back of her neck and also hold her mouth shut (this didnt hurt her in any way) but she obviously didn't like it. She would cry and make this weird noise for about a minute and then stop... she'd lick your hand once we let go. SO as soon as she would bite again (soon after) we would do the same thing right away. That was a good TEMPORARY method for us.

She isn't as bad anymore and only really bites when she gets REALLY hyper. I'm not good at this because she is too heavy, but my bf picks her up and turns her over and places her back down on her back and says NO. The vet said that putting her on her back like that will teach her that we're in charge and not her.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I tought my puppy enough. Whenever she started biting my hands I would just say enough loud and firmly. If she stopped I treated her. After a week or two she figured it out and will stop even without treating. I like play fighting with her from time to time so I didnt want to teach her not to do it at all. But as soon as she gets to ruff or I dont feel like playing I just say enough and she will leave me alone and usually go lay down or to a chew toy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally Posted By: DianaWhen Zelda had her sharp puppy teeth the vet showed us a few things.

We would push her and hold her down by the back of her neck and also hold her mouth shut (this didnt hurt her in any way) but she obviously didn't like it. She would cry and make this weird noise for about a minute and then stop... she'd lick your hand once we let go. SO as soon as she would bite again (soon after) we would do the same thing right away. That was a good TEMPORARY method for us.

She isn't as bad anymore and only really bites when she gets REALLY hyper. I'm not good at this because she is too heavy, but my bf picks her up and turns her over and places her back down on her back and says NO. The vet said that putting her on her back like that will teach her that we're in charge and not her.
Lol we tried this too as I have seen it work on other dogs. But for some reason my puppy thought of it as us trying to play also. As soon as we would let her go she got into all hells lose hyper mode sprinting and jumping on everything

·
Registered
847 Posts
Huh, that's a rather interesting video. Bodie has never bitten aggressively. Only play bitting and teething. We've tried all the things you've tried Spridell and he still play bites. But, it's getting better over time. So as long as we see progress we'll stay the course. But if he stops responding to the cues to stop then we might try that technique.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
We found giving Maggie a small squirt of water from a spray bottle seemed to be the most effective way of stopping her puppy/play biting. It's takes a lot of patience and consistency in whatever method you chose, but do know that they grow out of play biting once their permanent teeth are in. I've never had an aggressive biting problem with any of my dogs, so no advice there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts