Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, apologies for the long post.

I've been a lurker for a while but have recently adopted a beagle puppy and need some help.

Our beagle, ginger, is 11 weeks old. We received her from the breeder @ 8 weeks.

For starters, I have some questions on housetraining. We are using the following schedule from the housetraining for dummies book:
7:00 AM
Get up
Take puppy outside
Put puppy in crate

7:30 AM
Feed puppy
Offer water
Take puppy outside
Play with puppy up to 15 minutes
Put puppy in crate

Midmorning
Offer water
Take puppy outside
Put puppy in crate

Noon
Feed puppy
Offer water
Take puppy outside
Play with puppy 15 to 30 minutes
Put puppy in crate

Midafternoon
Offer water
Take puppy outside
Put puppy in crate

5:30 PM
Feed puppy
Offer water
Take puppy outside
Play with puppy up to 1 hour and/or let puppy hang out with family in kitchen

7:00 PM
Take puppy outside
Put puppy in crate

Before Bed
Take puppy outside
Put puppy in crate

During the night
Take puppy outside if necessary

and it's generally been working (sleeping generally 11pm-6 am each day). She's adapted to the crate well and she's only had 2 accidents in the 3 weeks (both our fault and never while in the crate). That said, we've encountered a difficulty. When we first started we thought it would be a good idea to teach her to ring a bell on the door when she wanted to go out. Everytime it was a potty break in the schedule, we took her to the door, rang the bell, and took her out. Unfortunately, she's learned this too well. There are times when she rings the bell almost constantly wanting to go out. It won't be unusual if she goes outside 10-15 times in an hour. Yes, I realize she's actually trained us to take her out when she's rung the bell, but how do we stop? We are so conscious of making sure we stay on top of the housetraining, that I think we've created another problem in its place. We want her to let us know when she needs to go, but it should be for a potty break rather than an I want to go out and sit in the sun break.

Beyond housetraining, we are having general behavioral problems. When she is out of the crate spending time with us, she constantly nips. We've done the yip thing and ignored, we've redirected her with chew toys, but it is still a problem. It's gotten so bad that today my 9 year old daughter took her outside for her potty break and when the nipping at the shoes and ankles got so bad, she climbed up on the central air compressor and started crying to escape. it was heartbreaking.

Finally, she's a whiner. Leave the room,and she whines. Sit on a chair, she whines. We can't possibly be on the ground with her at all times, she needs to learn she's our pet and not the other way around, but we are struggling. We've read http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm and while it makes total sense, we're struggling with how to put it into practice.

She really is a great puppy and when she is calm, sitting in your lap falling asleep, there's no doubt how much she can be a part of our family. She does great outside on long walks and the kids love playing fetch with her.

How much of what I am describing are just puppy things vs how much do we need to start training out of her? What tips would you all recommend? The members on this board seem so knowledgeable and have such great pets, I know there is a lot we can learn from you all.

thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ooooooo good one. I think I've heard people suggest that you don't allow her any play time outside. Take her out. if she doesn't potty, take her and put her back in the crate. If she DOES go, let her out to play in the house or outside afterward. This way, she understands that when she goes outside and actually does her job, she will be rewarded. Then, she will STOP fooling you.

As for the nipping, someone else asked this question in the introduction thread. It's under new beagle puppy mom. I know some people don't really agree with the method Evan and I used, but it really worked, and our 15 week old puppies don't nip or bite us anymore - nor are they afraid of us.

The whining thing....I've been told to make it a gradual thing. Leave her for a few minutes, and if she's quiet, reward her. I have difficulty doing that, myself, because it seems like my puppies are never quiet....good luck with that!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sounds exactly like Murphy at that age. At 9 months all the training behaviors are fixed and he's a great dog.

You've only had her for 3 weeks and she's still a baby. Time, patience and consistency will work.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Cassidy rings the bell every 5 minutes lol. But she has reached that age now that I just let her out when she wishes, because she doesn't go to it at night. Now that we are sure she is potty trained, when she rings the bell and we dont want to let her out or unable too, we ignore her or get her attention with toys and stuff. And she generally forgets for a bit. So, you learn your dogs schedule and body language to tell. Good job though on the training!

·
Registered
890 Posts
If you can do it at your place, a doggie door is great. They can go outside whenever they want to and come in when they want. Most have a blocker so you can close them off when needed. We do this when it will be unsafe for them or will have the gate open for a period of time. I know this isn't an option for everyone, but we LOVE it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh my gosh...the nipping thing sounds identical to Mugsy!! NOTHING anyone suggested stopped him from biting when he was a pup. I thought that we would have a horrible biter for life. However, he got better and now only nips when we play...which is acceptable.
I would say keep trying the things everyone suggests, but if nothing works, wait it out. Mugs is now a year and a half (which seems like a LONG time to wait...lol), but has stopped nipping since his birthday or maybe even earlier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
your dog is basically a very young baby so it is too soon to do much.. you have a very smart beagle to have learned to ring the bell so easily. Before I had a dog door we used the door bell system and yes, beagles can get quite persistent to go out. This is all normal beagle behavior. The whining will go away as she gets older... she's a baby... As for the nipping, follow a gentle way to stop it, do NOT ever HIT your Beagle!!! Have you ever owned a beagle before this? My beagle Jack still to this day will puppy mouth us when we return home and let him out of his crate...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts