Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for those out there reading. Bernie was brought home just over 2 weeks ago with a small bag of his own food (Beneful). I'd already purchased Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. Being the beagle that he somewhat resembles, he's been scarfing the Nutro happily. Of course when I went back to get more, there was no lamb and rice, so I picked up the other Nutro Puppy food chicken, rice, and oatmeal. Again he scarfed it happily, but with some really odd changes to behaviour. He was starving ALL the time, poops were grossly slimey, and he seemed to be a hyperactive barracuda. I've since put him back on the Lamb & Rice, and it's taken a day to "firm things up" again. Behavior is back to "normal" LOL, and besides devouring a huge raw carrot while hiding under the couch, he's slightly better behaved.

Any particular reason he'd have such a reaction to puppy food by the same supplier/maker? He's not quite 10 weeks, but he didn't have a bowel issue changing off of the Beneful.

He does get a little bit of "wet" Caesar with his last meal of the night (11 pm) and he's great til 7 am when he gets out for his pee. He gets around 1 3/4 cups of dry per day (with some portion of that used as treats).

Sorry for the novel, just wondering how to keep a barracuda fed! Kym

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Some dogs have a sensitive stomach to certain ingrediants even if they are from the same manufacturer. If I switch from their normal Turkey and Rice to the Lamb and Rice variety by the same manufacturer Rosa always gets an upset stomach.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
First, the better the food (nutrition and calorie wise) the amount the you feed gets smaller. The poop is one indication to the quality of the food, but not always, as some companies add stool hardeners.

I personally only give Chloe canned food in her kong (with other yummy healthy stuff).

I also noticed changes in her behavior when we switched food. But once you find the right one for you and Bernie, stick with it.
I guess it is the same as with people, some food won't agree with you and you will feel bloated and sore and other food will keep you full yet light on your feet.

I say, if it's good for the both of you, you're good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Point taken about the quality of the food Chloe's Mommy. I really will try and find a better quality food for him, but I am also realistic in my expectations of his food. Of course I want him to dine on prime rib, and salmon from the fresh blue seas, LOL, but I also see a dog who thinks the fibers from the carpet are not an unreasonable snack!

I will say that even though there are controversies over his Nutro (beet filler, not enough meat etc), he's shiny, happy, and certainly not potbellied anymore.

I'm guessing that the debate will always roll on over the best/worst dog foods. I do remember our first dog when I was a child, ate Gainsmeal kibble, which was gigantic pieces, that were a lovely rusty reddish colour with lots of lovely corn thrown in. He lived happily on his 5 cups a day! Ergh..

Thanks for your input Jennifer. I am glad I am not the only one who's puppy can have tummy issues!
Kym

·
Registered
250 Posts
I feed diesel both of the flavors... he seems to get board of one flavor after a while.. he does not have any change in attitude or coat or anything. but he just gets board.

so to keep him on his toes i switch the flavors out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts