Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my puppy is almost 9 weeks old. the breeder we got our beagle from had her fed twice a day so we tried to continue it. she continued the twice a day (morning 7am and evening 6pm) for the first 10 days, and would finish all her food each time. but for the past few days, she has not been finishing at each feeding, and would go back a few hours later and eat again. so now she is eating like 3 or 4 times a day. But she is eating the same amount as the twice a day feeding. in your opinions, which way is better, eating smaller amounts throughout the day, or eating big amounts twice a day. thanks

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
When Cole was that young he was eating 3 times a day. I would go with the scedule your puppy is setting at this time if that works for you!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would continue feeding how you are, but only give the puppy a certain amount of time to eat, then pick the bowl up. This will teach the pup that it needs to eat when you give it it's food, because it makes potty training easier. Once the pup is potty trained, then it can eat when it wants. This is what we did with Cassidy, and it worked!

·
Registered
106 Posts
to answer your question directly, i dont see it a problem with the puppy eating several times a day.

but could this mean that you are giving the puppy too much food? this may be harder to work out if you are preparing food yourself, but if you are using primarily dry food, check the back of the bag to make sure you are feeding it the right amount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts