Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new puppy is starting to get the hang of going potty outside, mostly thanks to his big sister setting a good example. His problem is, though, that he will drink like a camel at every chance he gets! This naturally poses an issue for potty training since we can't take him out every 5 minutes after he has had his fill. Is this something we should just let him do until he understands how much to drink at a time? For right now, we are only watering him a few times a day per the vet's recommendation, but I feel so bad making him go thirsty! Are there any tips to making him drink slower and not want as much water in general?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't worry about him drinking water that much...their instincts and bodies work way better than any of ours..so let him do what his body thinks is the right thing to do...it is a problem for potty training, but thats where I think crate training is so helpful..they do learn to hold it a little bit better...you have to make sure that after he drink you take him out in 5-10 mins...

Dexter still drinks water sometimes like its the end of the world (that fast!!)...but mostly its right after a long walk or a lot of play..

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeh, just let 'em figure it out on his own. If you wanna know when to let him out, I'm a big fan of the sleigh bells.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He will literally have to go within seconds of finishing drinking, if left on his own. I would say he can put away 2-3 ounces at a time, then his tummy swells, and he walks gingerly for a few steps and out comes the pee. We are crate training him and he does pretty good not going in there unless we are away more than about 2 hours unless he just filled up on water. If he drinks his fill, and we walk outside for a few minutes for him to pee (he will stop 2 or more times to go), and then he gets put away, he will go within about a minute of being in the cage. I attribute this to a combination of a small bladder and a fear of being left alone (by humans, he is always put away with his big sis in the same room.)

So no-one else has had a lush of a puppy? The only thing that I can think to do that won't disrupt his crate training or turn our house into a toilet is to put him out on the deck in a pen, with a big bowl of water, and just let him drink and go until he figures it out...

·
Registered
751 Posts
This will all work out very soon. Marley was quite the same I could not for the life of me understand how he would pee inthe crate right after going out. I know now the couple times that he did it, it was anxiety like you said. He'll get the hang of it. Have you named him?

·
Registered
794 Posts
my Polly drinks a lot...and it did make potty training hard...then her allergy medicine made her very thirsty, and she started having accidents all over.
She is doing better now...but you have to watch out for medicines!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Has the new pup been the vet for a check up and shots yet? You might mention it to them. As a nurse-- my first thought is diabetes, which dogs can get. That is one of the first signs of diabetes in humans and I would guess dogs too, though I dont know. That uncontrollable thirst and uncontrollable peeing.
Of course, as everyone else says-could be just growing and puppy quirks. I dont recall any of mine doing that though, anyhow
Judi and the crew

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Sadie and Pooh Bear drank a lot of water when they were babies. We worried about it so hubbie got them one of those water bottles that have a tube that comes down that they lick. That way they didn't get too much water at a time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts