Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Miss Peanut (3 month old beagle puppy) has developed something. She kind of coughs, but more so she sounds flemmy and sometimes sounds like her nose is wet/runny when she is breathing. It just sounds like the type of cold a person would have (flemmy cough, etc.) and she did throw up flem the other night.

Anyway, we saw the vet. The vet listened to her, and put her on antibiotics, but she's not sure what it is. Said her lungs didn't found horrible, but she could hear a tinch of something. Heart, etc. was great, and she was breathing fine.
The vet didn't seem too concerned, but I am. We also did an x-ray, and one x-ray was great, the other showed a little something in the lungs but the vet said, "That might also just be a spot where the x-ray was too light."

Does anyone have experience with this?
She has been fully vaccinated, and wormed. She was at a friends house a bit, they bred Aussies and Corgi's and have over 25 dogs, however!

Allergies maybe? Vet also said, "Watch her though, because little guys can go to heck in a handbasket, fast" so that didn't inspire much confidence on my part!

She is eating Purina Puppy Chow at the moment, and I am going to switch her to Innova Dry Puppy Food, but I had to order and it won't be in until next Thur. (breeder fed the purina).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Allergies as far as I know, start showing at a later age. 3 months is still very young. I imagine the vet would know to recognize reverse sneezing, so that is probably not it. I would wait and let the anibiotics do their thing.

About the food, yes, I would change her food too, Purina Puppy Chow is not the best of them...

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Sounds more severe than regular canine allergies.

First, get a new vet then get a second opinion. I don't like the fact that the vet is not sure what it is and I do not like her little warning to you. She's a vet she needs to work her butt off to diagnosis and treat, not a "well let's try this...and good luck!" that just doesn't seem competent.

Second, has your pup had the kennel cough vaccine? Did the vet give Peanut chest x-rays? Is Peanut having discharge from the eyes?

Kennel Cough: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/149113/signs_and_symptoms_of_kennel_cough.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/49290/symptoms_and_treatment_for_your_dogs.html

·
Registered
271 Posts
I totally agree with Jamie about getting a second opinion and a different vet.

If you walked into your doctor's office with these kind of symptoms and the doctor told you, "let's try this...and good luck," you would be looking for a different doctor.

My first thoughts fell along the same lines with Kennel Cough.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not Kennel Cough--she's been vaccinated, and I talked to the breeder about that as well. She's also not coughing much, its more like trying to clear the flem. She is improving, but I still wonder.

We did call the vet again yesterday--she said that she really didn't think it was anything, and that if she's not improved by tomorrow (Friday, and she's been on antibiotic since monday), then she will look at her again.

She does have runny eyes at times, and the tear stains, but she's always had the tear stains.

I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before? If she's not improved by the time the antibiotics are done, we'll go to a diff. vet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She has been this way since Sunday. She has no fever, eats fine, runs around, potties normal, sleeps normal...etc.
How do I treat her for allergies?
No one has experienced this?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've experienced the same type of symptoms with Rosa when she was younger and yes it was down to allergies.

Go back to your vet after she has finished her course of antibiotics if she is no better. The allergy remedy is a childs dosage of Benadryl but I wouldn't give it to her without consulting your vet first.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
First, everything serious has to be ruled out. If I were in your shoes, your vet's attitude would be a little too cavalier and I would be looking for another vet. I think that, if anything (other than allergies) is going on, there would be definitive signs, either in x-rays or on examination. If it turns out to be allergies, maybe the cough/clearing throat sound might be from post-nasal drip. Dogs can get almost everything that humans get and I know that that tickle in the back of my throat makes me cough. I honestly don't recall what part of the world you are from but it is definitely allergy season here in the Southeast U.S.
Also, wanted to mention -- when you are switching food, be sure to do it gradually over a week's time. Add a little bit of the Innova to the Purina and each day add more Innova and less Purina. This will prevent any stomach upset from the change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts