Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello thanks for taking the time to read and respond. I have a 12 week old male beagle puppy and he’s honestly been great. I’ve been doing obedience training with him and he picks things up very quickly. He’s super cute and just overall a great dog.

The only problem is he keeps biting. And it’s not just light biting he’s really hurting me when he bites me. He even drew blood on my grandma a couple of times. I’ve tried everything and he just won’t stop. It’s really frustrating and I’m hoping it will go away. I really need some help here I just don’t know what to do. Does this stop? I don’t want to have to give him away and it’s really breaking my heart just thinking about that.
Thank you in advanced for any advice you could give me.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Welcome.
Sounds like you havent done any research on dealing w puppies. This is NOT aggressive behavior..dont spank or yell it will just maje matters worse. This is puppy behavior and YES it does stop. But you have to take steps to make it stop..give chew toys to deflect chewing on you. Hand feed your dog for a couple of weeks.. cup your hands and let the dog eat ..its messy but he wont bite your hands and its a good bonding technique..."dont bite the hand that feeds you"..
Give your dog rest time..getting your dog excited w active playing rope pulling or sitting on the floor with the dog just gets the dog more bity. Keep things calm.. say No When he gets bity and leave him alone.. keep focusing on training.
Please watch any small children so they dont get hurt.
Here's Cassie..a former biter.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Comfort

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Cassie covered it well. Best to stop this now before he gets bigger. Let us know how you progress :)

·
Registered
Benji
19 Posts
Very true about pups I think- they all bite - no matter what. Of course it does become better over time as the teeth become blunt and pups grow older. I used to have scratches all over my forearms and legs when my baby was small. He does bite still- it is more of nipping now.
Hope this helps
LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Years ago, we had to travel with a pug puppy. He sat on my lap a lot during the journey. I had a hard puppy nylabone that I would hold up in my hand and let him chew on that when he started "biting" on me. He preferred the bone, since it was harder and helped better with the teething. I have also had a puppy when I had another older dog and the puppy would really get rough with the older dog when playing, biting and pulling its ears. The older dog would pin him down and bite him back. It doesn't take long for a puppy to get the message. I don't suggest you beat the puppy, but shaking a can of pennies or other loud noise to distract it will help.

·
Registered
Ana
2 Posts
I'm now dealing with the biting with my 12 week old Ana. My 7 year old son is to the point where he is avoiding her bc she constantly bites at him. He does unknowingly rile her up and makes it worse. Between the two, I'm pulling my hair out. Maybe I should have him hand feed her a few times? He is able to get a toy in her mouth most of the times, but she does get him and me too occasionally and it hurts!

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Puppies should be in a restricted area..too much freedom gets them worked up..
Follow these suggestions:
1. Tell your dog NO when he nips and give him a toy to chew on..not a plush toy.
2. Hand feed the dog..cup the food in your hands and he will eat and not nip. Do it for a couple of weeks.
3. Dont rough house play..no tug of war games..it excites the dog which results in nipping.
4. When he starts to nip..leave him alone..they're pack dogs and they dont like being alone.
5. No spanking or yelling..but a firm NO is good.
6. Always wear shoes or dog will find toes.
7. Put a leash on the dog at all times for control..my dog still wears one in the house..you can grab it to stop mischief. Notice the leash in the picture.
8. Start commands..like SIT, COME, DOWN.. watch YouTube videos on training.
9. Always use the same words for training. The dog gets confused if everyone says different things..use your dogs name first to get his attention.

it will get better..
This is cassie ...a former biter...lol

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Comfort

Dog Collar Carnivore Pet supply Dog breed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts