Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do Beagle puppies start to bark? Maggie is five months old and I don't think I've heard her bark? Is this typical?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
You wait! Enjoy this peaceful stage. Dont worry Maggie will find her voice, it varies from hound to hound.

·
Registered
959 Posts
OMGoodness, enjoy the quiet. Truly, because once they learn to bark, it's all over for peace and quiet. Our first beagle, Chipper learned to bark when he was about 3 months old --- our son would say woof to him, and soon Chip was arroooooing all over the place. Cobi came to us barking --- he had 7 brothers and sisters to learn from. Casie had a very timid and quiet woof, but that's Case, now he's right in there with the big boys ---- arrooooooing all over the place. I guarantee you will wonder where the quiet went when Maggie does start using her voice.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I agree with everyone else: it totally varies from dog to dog. Bones is nearing 2 years old and has barked since the day we got her. Spock, who just turned 2 earlier this month, hardly ever barks except at his new Yorkie friend and at the vacuum cleaner. Maybe they'll reverse roles someday... or Bones will teach Spock to be a loudmouth like her someday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You might just be one of the lucky ones to get a quiet beagle!! I've got two beagles, one didn't bark until she was SIX (YEARS OLD) when I finally figured out a way to get it out of her. Still, she will only bark on cue with the promise of food. My puppy started to bark and bay almost as soon as we got him home at two months, and he hasn't stopped since!!
I think each beagle is different, and both quiet and noisy beagles are wonderful in their own ways! Enjoy the quiet, for now!

Tamara

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replies. I don't really want her to bark; it's just that it seems unnatural for a dog not to bark. Maybe she is one of the quiet ones but that doesn't meant she's low-maintenance. What an experience this puppy has been.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think it is wonderful and you should rejoice. lol Mine do not bark excessively. They know they will get the collar put on if they do so they don't bark just to be barking. They will however bark when they feel their is a need, like when someone walks past the house with a dog on a walk or something. lol

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Ditto all of the above! Enjoy the peace and quiet while you can! My Maggie is an excessive barker, but she has been since she she was a tiny pup. Hopefully your Maggie will be one of the quieter ones!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I honestly don't remember when our male started to bark(it was 11 yrs ago) but our female was somewhere between 6-8 months. I do believe she has a slight hearing problem and wondered if that's why it took her so long but it looks like that age is normal.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh my goodness! I second the enjoy the quiet comments!
Rocky came to us at 7 weeks and by 8 weeks he was yipping and very quickly it became a full bark. Mind you, he doesn't bark for the sake of barking...he barks at the kitties when he's trying to play, he barks at us during playtime, and he barks to be let in or untangled outside (he likes to go through the hedge).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I consider myself one of the lucky ones! Totti is really a quiet beagle- don't get me wrong, he has his days when he feels like barking away, but he doesn't bark as much as people said he would. Totti rarely barked as a pup and I think he was actually like 8 months when he really started getting his voice. Today, at almost 16 months, he'll bark when he reallyyyyyy wants something and rarely he barks at a dog walking by my house. Most times he just whines. But in all honesty, I love when Totti barks because he doesn't do it often and I enjoy listening to his wonderful voice

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Buzz is probably heading towards three and in the eight months we have had him he has only barked twice - it was about a month after we got him but nothing since. He squeaks a bit, but no more barking... The others make up for it, though!

·
Registered
400 Posts
As others have said, enjoy it!

Java was not much of a puppy barker and he's still a really quiet beags. Lilo on the other hand, is the neighborhood warden and she just really needs to keep the folks in line by barking.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wow Millie started barking on her first day here at Bazel , 8 weeks old for her or maybe younger I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts