Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new here and would love if anyone could help me out with a few questions. We have recently gotten a beagle puppy and she is now 4 months old and we have a 3 year old little boy also and are having problems getting them acquainted with each other still. Our son is quite afraid of our puppy (Dakota) because she has jumped up on him several times and we can't get her to stop consistently. Also she still wants to always nip at us all the time-further making my son not want to be around her. She obviously really likes him and I know he loves her but I would love to find a way to not have to a physical barrier between the two most of the time. I suppose I wish I could just calm her down in general a bit. My husband keeps telling me I'm expecting too much of a puppy and being a novice dog owner maybe I am. Someone at our pet store recommended always walking her before letting her out for playtime with us, but honestly she is just as crazy and silly. Her energy never ends.
I would love to hear whatever advice you have.
Thanks so much.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Though I am no expert with children or puppies (I have had neither), I would simply try a leash. This way you can control the distance between them. Your son, though young needs to learn that Dakota just wants to play, so he shound not be afraid.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Hello Fellow Carolinian :wave:

Welcome to Beagle World!
Abby was 3 months when we brough her home. My oldest was 8y and my youngest 3y. Abby was wild and crazy too and loved to play, eventually she calmed down.

Your puppy will learn what behaviours are and are not acceptable if you are consistent in training her. I've also heard that one way to correct a bad behavior is to give a little growl, since that is how the Mother corrects the puppies. What worked for me is getting Abby's attention (usally making a loud "HEY!" or "NO!" sound) and then saying in my "voice" "NO BITE ABBY!" If you have to remove her from your child until she calms down.

As your hubby said a puppy will be a puppy...you wouldn't expect a human baby to know or follow rules all the time. You would expect to have to teach and mold the baby and that's exactly what you have to do with a puppy.

If you want some help check out local training/behavior classes.

~Jamie

·
Registered
983 Posts
Murphy's Dad is right. a leash is a good idea. That way you can control the puppy, while showing your son not to be afraid. Once the puppy is calm, have your son pet her. That will show the puppy that she only gets attention when she is calm. It's hard with all the energy they have, and walks make a huge difference in tiring them out. Good luck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
BB has Eastern NC covered and I got the Western part covered so where do you cover?

I have no advice because The Wonder Twins are huge jumpers and all the neighbor kids love them but love them more from their side of the fence!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
How about try using a spray bottle when ever she nip at your son, and telling her "no" at the same time firmly. You need to be in charge must set some rules so every body is happier.
I tried the spray bottle on Charlie when he was a pup, he immediately stopped, also rattling a soda can with a few pennies inside when you need to calm her down.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I too am very concerned about my pup regarding biting, nipping, whatever you want to call it. What I call it is inappropriate. I have not had to deal with this with any other dog, and I am losing my patience. He is rather pushy. He too has a lot of energy, and gets wild and crazy which includes nipping, jumping, the zoomies around the house. Most of it I can take except when I cannot get him under control and he pounces on me and nips/bites/growls/barks. I do not have kids yet but we want to very soon and I am concerned with him being around a new born. I am also concerned about him being around other family because he is very unpredictable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh my goodness, Marley's Mama, what you describe with your pup is exactly what we are going through also. Dakota will race through the house growling and if you try to stop her she'll try to bite/nip you and even show her teeth a bit and finally I have to rattle her liver treat bag and put some in her crate to get her confined and calmed down. But it's crazy because other times she will just lay on my lap (not more than 15 min.)and be so docile and let me rub her tummy. At least we know our puppies must be "normal" since they're both doing it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
308 Posts
The nipping concerns me. When the Wonder Twins get out of control we use the Ceasar method of *corrective biting* by pushing them on their backs and not letting them up until they submit. I can't say that either of us have been nipped in REALLY long time.

So who is gonna get a play date? Where are you at in NC?

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh dear, at least I won't call it normal behavior, and let it be. Maybe they need puppy training, sign up classes for them, I'm sure the trainer has a lot of advise. I highly recommend puppy training, Charlie learned at lot. At least they should learn who is the alpha. Also do try the spray bottle, buy a few and place them around the house so you can grab. Some say put a few drops of lemom juice in it if they ever gotten use to the spray. Charlie did not get to that point. When I pick up the bottle, zoom he runs for his crate. :hi:
http://www.arf.net/resources/behavior-dogs.html
And try going through this site and see if any thing can help.

Good luck folks! Be patient with your Beagles.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Dakota3 - yes, I am very happy to see your post. Wish we were not dealing with it, but happy to see someone else here to go through it with. I have posted a few comments about this and have gotten great feedback, but I almost felt like I was alone in having a pup like this.

Tammy - I've tried a similar technique to Ceasers. My vet initally told me about it then I saw it on the Dog Whisperer. Does not work with Marley at all! I am nervous about this because like Dakota said, he can be playful and docile and then poof, he is a MANIAC and I have to almost get my hand bit off to catch him or try to calm him down.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I posted this in another link but wanted to add that we are having a trainer come out to assess this and give us further advice since nothing is working. Then I will know if I can continue with this or not. (sad).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We're all the way on the eastern coast in NC. Past Greenville. New Bern.
I'm definately going to try the water bottle spray. I've noticed a corellation between when my son if awake and granted very active as a normal 3 year old boy will be, and when Dakota gets really crazy. When we let her have house time and our son is in bed it usually is much more controllable. Now my husband does the thing where he puts her on her back and does the "bite" with his hand and it works great for him. Now me, when I do that I think she thinks it's a game. I obviously am not doing a good job of sounding assertive.
Marley's Mother, I am so curious what the professional has to say.
Also I would love to put Dakota in some type of puppy class but am having a hard time finding any around here. Does anybody happen to know of any and have any alternative suggestions if I can't find one?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have either of the pups owners checked the food they are being given.Lots of foods are full of additives that can make dogs really hyper.They need to feed a high quality food with no additives,this might help the problem.
I do not know US foods but perhaps someone can suggest a good one.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh Rats another beach bum :raspberry: ! I never thought about food making a puppy hyper. That is a grand idea to look into!

Also how much exercise does Dakota get? I think that makes a lot of difference too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I'm happy to report that Dakota is doing better. I'm worried that I'm celebrating prematurely but this evening we've been using the water bottle spray and a container of coins and it's working. I can't thank you enough for the suggestions. At first it seemed to make everything even more hyper but then slowly she started backing down. Every time she'd bite or jump on us especially our son we'd spray and shake /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif and she'd run away under the dining room table with her ears pinned back to regroup. But each time she comes back out it's better. She still will try something but as soon as we make a tiny rattle she'll stop. I'm already worried that it might wear off and then what. I should stop thinking about it.
Thanks again everybody.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Dakota3:
Every time she'd bite or jump on us especially our son we'd spray and shake /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif and she'd run away under the dining room table with her ears pinned back
My only concern here is that you are frightening her. At 4 months she is still just a baby and at such an impressionable age. I don't have children so I've never had to deal with puppies jumping up kids but when my dogs were young and they jumped all over me I would simply get up (if I was sitting) or turn my back on them if I was standing then just ignore it for a while. Then when puppy had calmed down I would start interaction again.

Sorry but I'm a bit of a softy and I hate anything that causes alarm or distress. I've never squirted water at my dogs or shaken noisy cans full of stones at them either.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with Jennifer.
You do not want to make the pup fear aggresive,try keeping a houseline on her.Then remove her from the room until she quietens down. If she jumps up make her sit then treat her when she does.
Or give her a toy in her mouth and play with her anything rather than frighten her.
Puppies are like toddlers and they need to learn boundaries but it can be done without fear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts