Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while ago, my puppy started to growl at us when we went to pick her up off the couch to bring her to her crate for bed time. We were really firm with her for a few days, and the growling stopped. However, two days ago, the growling started again.

I was wondering, did your beagle do that as a pup as well? What should I do to prevent any more aggression?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think beagles can sometimes be a bit grouchy. Last night I came to bed a few minutes after my wife and Murphy were tucked in. Murphy left me about 6 inches of room so I started to scoot him over. He growled and scowled at me, and I just growled and scowled back. He sulked off to the foot of the bed, and in a minute or two was back licking my face and happy as can be.

I chalk it up to being a puppy, being tired and being a beagle.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think Rocky is grumpy sometimes, although not as much as he used to be. I kind of attribute his attitude to not being really trusting of us. We don't know what his life was like before we got him so I cut him some slack. When we first got him (he was 2) was playing with him on the floor and hugging him and I started playfully sniffing the back of his neck. He pulled back, growled, and barked, but he looked scared. I said no firmly and he came crawling up to me like he knew he'd done something wrong. He would also growl sometimes at my hubby if he was too rough with him. We've worked with him and he's gotten MUCH better.

I think they growl for different reasons. Definitely keep an eye on it though and make sure you're top dog.

·
Registered
889 Posts
One thing to add... if Rocky was on the couch and growled at us, off the couch he went. We tried to make him understand that he did NOT get what he wanted by growling. If he growled about a bone or toy, it was taken away. We often practiced giving him toys and then asking him to give. Now if he's got something you can squat down and call him to you and he'll run over (most of the time
) and give it to you without any problems. I will say that even when he growled in the past it never escalated to anything more, not even bearing his teeth. I think some of the time he was testing us. But we will prevail!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
He is probably testing the boundaries. Does he know the off or 'in your crate' commands? Will he get off the lounge if you command him to? If he doesn't know these commands I would teach them to him - get a treat he really loves and lure him off the lounge, rewarding him for being on the floor. Once he gets that getting off the lounge = a treat, incorporate the 'off' command. Practice this often so that he learns you will reward him when he obeys you.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Tucker used to growl when I took him off our bed at night so we could go to sleep. Once he discovered it didn't do any good and he still ended up in his dog bed, he quit.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Some very good answers in here. Def be alpha and don't let pup get away with this, because this could lead to further problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts