Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a heck of a time figuring Java out. This little girl wants us with her 24/7! Not just with her, but RIGHT beside her. If we even walk from one room to the next (which she can still see us) she cries and cries. I can't even get my dishes done. If she falls asleep, she opens up her eyes to see if I'm right there. If I'm not, she cries and wakes up, if I am there..she falls back to sleep. Previous dogs I've had I have crate trained them to sleep. I don't know if she is going though some kind of seperation anxiety or what?? It's making me second guess myself is she is even ready to crate train. Plus she keeps whining at my bedroom door. Lol, know one will even be in it!! We did let her sleep in there one night, but since I haven't let her because I woke up and my chest was very tight (allergies). Any ideas what is wrong with her?? Is she bored? Her breed?What? I need to get things done!

·
Registered
421 Posts
maybe it's just separation anxiety. sophie used to hate her crate. getting her in there required circus-like scenes.
we tried to be as consistent as possible, only putting her in there when we needed to go out, or when it was bed time. as best as we could we made those times always be the same, like a schedule. when we put her in there, if she didn't make us do alot of chasing and pulling, she got a treat. then one day, all of a sudden, i said sophie come and pointed to her crate and she walked in there as pretty as you please. now if i leave the door open she goes in if she wants a little space. twitchy liked the crate from day one, so, who knows?

·
Registered
46 Posts
First thing's first, keep in mind, that they are pack oriented dogs. Meaning they are always wanting constant contact with others, in your case, constant contact with us as their parents. Kenya was the exact same way, although she is getting better with playing on her own without us having to be there. Best thing to do is ignore her, until she calms down a bit. She is going to follow you everywhere and literally be by your feet, wanting attention. If you pick her up, and coddle her when she cries, it only lets her know that her crying works to get your attention. I know she's only a puppy, but it's best to start early.

It's hard and requires a commitment, but that's something we all knew before bringing them home, right?

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's fairly normal. Murphy was exactly like that when we first brought him home at 8 weeks.

After 2 nights of trying crate training we started allowing Murphy to sleep in bed with us. After a few nights he was sleeping all night through and now only rarely needs to go out during the night.

We also thought that Murphy might be suffering from separation anxiety, his symptoms were exactly as you describe. Now at 8 months he's completely grown out of it. The only time Murphy whines and cries is when he's left home all day, and he'll have a bit of a fit when we let him out of the laundry room.

It was different from any other puppy we've had in the past. Keep working with Java and she'll get over it too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks every one. I've been getting a little overwhelmed, I feel like I have a new born in the house again. I just keep wondering where the limit should be you know? We also have been letting her sleep in our bed the last two nights. At first we were out in the living room and slept with her but if we leave and she wakes up, she will wake up to try to find us before cuddling back beside me again. But in our bed, she sleeps like five to six hours!! She LOVES it. I'm thinking about giving it another try tonight and see if my chest feels tight again in the morning.

Wow, now I can understand why many of you get two beagles!! I am now officially hearing whining in my head when I'm gone!!ha

So now..for those of you who had only one puppy...where did you draw the line for the whining and constant companionship? I'm really worried she will end up demanding me constantly to be at her beck and call. I need to draw the line some where. Sorry, I might be making too much into this, but I am very overwhelmed with this puppy! I've never had such trouble with a puppy before. Guess Ive never owned a pack oriented dog before!

·
Registered
837 Posts
She's too young for it to be real seperation anxiety - she's a little baby puppy who was taken from her litter too soon so it's normal to have her feel lonely and even a bit stressed.

Draw the line now. It will only get harder as she gets older if you pander to this behaviour - you have to let her know that whining will not always get her your company and attention.

I would work at leaving her in the room alone for very short incriments, 2-3 minutes to start with if that's what she needs. Praise her when you return and she's quiet. Slowly increase this time as her behaviour improves. Don't fuss over her, don't always give her attention when she whines. Ignore the whining and reward quiet, calm behaviour.

Another beagle may not make it better. You could end up with two whining puppies. The key here is consistency and patience - don't let her learn that whining = attention.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Smeagle,
Think I'm going to take your advice and start making her whine a bit. I normally would on a puppy, just didn't know how to draw the line with a beagle since she wants companionship so much. This morning I was taking a nap with her on my bed and I caught myself wheezing, so I guess it's a must for crate training.
I was looking forward to having her sleep with me. I just hope the wheezing stops!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Shoppy, Rocky is 15 weeks old today, we got him at 7 weeks, and the first week was touh for the crate training, but he got over it and now will actually go open his crate to go in it. Persist, and she will learn.

I agree with Smeagle...ignore the undesired behaviour and reward what you want her to do.

As for the allergies, I am allergic too, and I tend to adapt to the animals I live with. I do not let Rocky sleep with us for allergic reasons, but since he loves his crate, it's not a problem. He does come in with us for an hour or so on weekend mornings now and I am ok. I hope you end up adapting to Java!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: ShoppyThanks Smeagle,
Think I'm going to take your advice and start making her whine a bit. I normally would on a puppy, just didn't know how to draw the line with a beagle since she wants companionship so much. This morning I was taking a nap with her on my bed and I caught myself wheezing, so I guess it's a must for crate training.
I was looking forward to having her sleep with me. I just hope the wheezing stops!
I know it sounds tough but think of your praise, attention and affection as a resource that you control and one you give her on YOUR terms and your terms only.

Have a read of this article about nothing in life is free, apply the same principle to her when she wants your attention:
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Giving her attention is a resource she values just like food and toys, you need to put some boundaries and limitations on it now or it will get worse as she gets older, bigger and stronger. Teach her that she gets attention on your terms and it is something she has to pay for just like she would have to pay for a treat or a toy.

It sounds tough but to a dog affection is another resource and one they will compete for if they know you are a push over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts