Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm hoping you guys can throw some of your beagle experience my way to help with her training.

My pup is only 8 weeks old, I've had her for 3 days and i am trying to paper train her (she only had one vaccination so far so can't leave the apartment to housetrain her).
I have been leaving the paper in the same spot every day and when she looks as if she is about to go and do her business, i pick her up and put her on the paper. This works at times but if i am not quick enough to spot, she will do it anywhere in the house and will only do it on the paper if i move her to there

Also, how did you guys train your dog to stop crying at night? I have her in a cornered off section of the kitchen at night (about 2m x 1m) but she takes a long time to settle down and she then cries about 4 times throughout the night, each time i take her out of the section and to the paper for her to pee and put her back in her corner and i go back to bed but she carries on crying for another 5 minutes or so.

I know that she is very young and i am not expecting her to learn everything straight away but i would like to know if my methods are correct and if not, what do you suggest?

Sorry for the long post, this is my first post so getting all the problems out at once

Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would say be patient and persistent. It'd be very difficult to catch the pup in mid act ALL the time. The turning point in my training (yes, my training, and not Java's) is when I was able to walk him daily. Following a strict potty/walking schedule helps the potty training tremendously. Our furkids remember routines. It helps give them hope that you'll return to take them to relieve themselves.

As for the whining, I suggest crating the pup early on and be sure you associate the crate with a warm, comforting, and relaxing space just for her. This MAY help with easing her loneliness during the night. I suggest not relenting to her cries as she will relate her cries with getting mommy/daddy's attention. I made the quick mistake of attending to java every time he cried and now he whines and cries about everything (i guess it's better than constant barking :D)

Good luck, and I'm sure the other more experienced members will provide you with tons of advice!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I trained Charlie with a crate. He was 14 weeks and was still very young. I put a hot pad wrapped with a towel under his pillow in his crate. Some even put a clock that goes tick tock underneath. They will feel mommy is still around. Also I tagged the crate everywhere I went in the house so he could see me, even in my bedroom, kept calling him through out the night.
As for housetraining, you may have some work to do. I got up in the middle of the night for at least 3-4 times, leashed him walked him to the yard. Praising him constantly, especially when he did it. It is a lot of work but worth every minute of it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh boy Krisby. You're in for some fun, hehe. I'm currently dealing with a 5 month old pup but I remember where you were like it was yesterday, maybe because it practically was.

Fin hasn't had a #2 accident in quite some time, but #1 is a different story. He can hold it all day while I'm at work, but once I get home I have to take hime out at least once an hour. Even then it's not guranteed that he won't pee inside. Sometimes I take him out, he pees, then pees as soon as we get in. That's become more and more infrequent. Just be as patient as possible and keep lots of paper towels around.

Definitely use a crate. They love it. It's a huge security blanket for them. You have to learn to ignore the crying sometimes. It's tough, but you can't go play with her every time or she'll own you and you will never sleep.

Be extremely careful. I don't know how everyone else's pups were, but all Fin does is try to eat things that he shouldn't. Put it this way, if I laid out 5 milkbones and a drywall screw, chances are Fin will go for the screw first. Don't wanna scare you, just want you to be careful

Otherwise, good luck. You will love her. I've had Fin for 3 months now and I feel like he's been a part of the family forever.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Molly, our four month old, is responding really well to regular walks and her crate for house breaking. In fact she is so used to having walks for her to go to the bathroom, when we take her off leash she won't go. We also put a bell at the bottom of the door for her to ring when she needs to go out. She learned to ring it after a few days of us kicking it every time we took her out.

As for the crying, I think she stopped after a few days. The first night was aweful, but we put some old t-shirts in her crate, wrapping one around an alarm clock that ticked - to mimic her mom's heart beat. She now only cries at night when she has to go to the bathroom. Of course, we have her crate in the bedroom at night so she is with the pack.

Remember to take a ton of pictures, they grow up really fast. We got Molly at 8 weeks and she has already doubled in size in two months.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank Guys, I have followed the advices posted, and last night Pili seemed more settled during the night. She cried 3 times to go to the loo but she settled back quite quickly.
I will keep patient and see how she progresses.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts