Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy has been acting very strange today, not like herself at all. I was watching tv, and she was playing with her toy quietly beside me, when she suddenly got really afraid. She ran around the house whining loudly, and would not let me get near her. After about 10 minutes, she let me get close enough to pet her, but when I picked her up, she yelped really loudly so I put her down. After a little while, she let me pet her again, and eventually settled down in my lap.

Then come bed time, she walked into her crate nicely, and I waited for her to settle down. She did, but as soon as I left her line of vision, she began to whine and cry. She hasn't had trouble sleeping at all since her 4th night (it's been a few weeks now). When I went back, she was sitting in her crate and she looked really scared and she continued to whine. I have no idea what scared her, but it's really worrying.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
She might had something scare her or she injured herself during play. Otherwise, I wouldn't be too worried.
I would strongly suggest exposing her to different sounds, sights and smells. Take her with you outside (if she doesn't have all her shots than hold her up) with you to get used to her surroundings.

About whining at night, maybe she realized that you are her comfort so when you left her in the crate after going through a tough day she just wanted you back.

Keep an eye on her for the next day or two for any more unusual behavior, but I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My Bones gets like that sometimes as well. For example, she is scared, off and on, of the linoleum in the kitchen and won't come in the back door unless you coax her; it happened again tonight, though I hope I nipped it in the bud this time with treats. It's like an anxiety switch flips on. I just try to be patient if she's doing something I don't want her to do (like not coming in the back door), and distract her when she is whiny, pacing around the house, shying away from objects, etc. Playing hard and getting her tired seems to help, using treats as incentive (not to mention getting in some training time), and sometimes I take her to the pet store. I give her something else to concentrate on; it isn't really solving the problem deep down, but it helps some.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
How old is the pup? You mentioned she was playing with a toy. Could she have bit into the toy and lost a baby tooth? If it wasn't quite ready to fall out and it got pulled out that could have scared her.

It's really hard to know what scares our dogs sometimes. One of my four is afraid of any type of a reflection. I have no idea why. She walks around staring at the ceiling sometimes too and I don't get that either, but at least I can make an assumption that it is because she was always an outside dog before coming to us a couple of months ago.

Hopefully your pup will have forgotten her rough day by morning.

·
Registered
847 Posts
There are different Fear Periods in a puppy's life. There is one at 8 weeks and again around 4 months. And some puppy's, they will have one at around 14 months. Which may sound too old to go through such a stage, but they're adolescents developmentally and still mentally immature.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still have no idea what scared her, but after the night's sleep, she forgot all about it! She's back to being her cheerful self, but hopefully next time, I will be able to see what it was exactly that bothered her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts