Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, by my figuring Maggie will be due here in the next 10 days. As of today I could get milk out of her teets which means it is coming up!
Poor lil gal though-she is waddling around so much. Hopefully this slows her down some, so when I get her fixed later this summer it will help her out more.

I know last summer when she was born there werent many others on here that had dealt with newborn pups or pregnancy.. any of the new folks on the board know much about it?

One of the good things is I am in nursing school right now and in maternal/OB nursing right now-so its kinda exciting seeing it all take place before my eyes!

Judi and the gang

·
Registered
220 Posts
How exciting!! Good luck with the birthing, and you better post pics of the new puppies!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
We would love to know all about them, Momma Maggie and the pups. Keep us posted and send pics when the baby beags are born. Good Luck!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well here is little Maggie last summer when she was born, just a few weeks old... boy do I remember it... I just hope and pray she has the pups when I can be around in the next few weeks. I think I am going to try to find a plastic baby pool to pile with blankets and towels for her to have them in. I will take a pic soon of her belly to show too.. before they come!
Judi

·
Registered
794 Posts
Wow Judi, I did not know Maggie was expecting...I haven't been on much lately.
what are your plans with your puppies? (no I don't want one--It's been too recent that we potty trained Polly!)
Connie

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I honestly don't know. Once I find out how many she has and how they all turn out I will be ready to make a decision. More than likely they will go out to various friends of mine and my sons who have loved our dogs. If Maggie wouldnt have been an "only child" I could have given her away to about 5 or 6 different homes. of course, being that her parents were litter mates, some were not so sure about taking her though.

Maggie is the sweetest, most loving dog though. The only slightly negative thing is that she truly acts and feels like she is practically human too! When she was born, I mothered her mother who was mothering her.. if that makes any sense? :freak:

I truly dont know what I would do without Maggie now though, or Harley, or Chopper. Although Chopper is still not totally house-trained and dang it makes me mad. He just quivers when I get near him though.. And I try to watch his cues to put him outside. I just don't always catch on...

Well, I am going to go check on her. She has been panting a lot today, of course it has been terribly muggy even with the wind though.
Judi and the gang

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the father, unless something really crazy happened, like someone got into our yard or their kennel, is another beagle.
The father is Chopper---that beagle that showed up at my house this winter when it was 10 below zero and was freezing cold and bones showing thru that we nursed back to health.
I dont have a picture of him right now, I am at work, but if you go to my myspace page, and click on "pics" there is a pic of the tri-colored pup that is the father. He is about 1 yr old, and shorter, like actual beagles are supposed to be! and a good pup. He has the much louder beagle bark too!!

http://www.myspace.com/mistress_xtra

OK /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Judi and the gang

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Looking forward to seeing pics of the pups. Good luck with the births.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is now the 16th-and time is counting down fast! She had some mucousy stuff coming out her rear tonight, so I am hoping she lost her mucous plug.
I did bring home a doppler from work to try and listen, but it was hard, with the big teets and everything, couldnt get a good sound
pacing back and forth..
Judi

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
still nothing but misery in the heat here and some pushing movements when she is outside.. but momma keeping a special eye on her of course..
If nothing by Wednesday (you know our figuring is never 100%) I will take her to the vet.
Judi and the gang (not getting much sleep here either!)

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We witnesed two litters being born. Your girl will stop eating some hours before the birth. Where is she having them? Do you have a a box for her? It is important that she gets peace and not too many people watching. Just Dave and I were present at the birth of Bilbos and Spotties pups. It was just as well in Bilbos case, as one pup was born dead so he could remove it straight away. However both our girls had 6 pups each.
Spotty was not that interested in being a mum, probably because her box was in our bedroom and she thought we could take over the feeding!
If there are more than 4 pups its a good idea to assist with the feeding. We bought puppy milk and puppy feeding bottle. Every two hours we'd feed a pup, making sure they all got their turn. You'll soon get to know which ones insist on milk from their real mum. Later we fed Spotty with a bottle to keep her still enough for the pups to feed from her!!!
Bilbo managed without us, she was a born mother.

Have your vet know when they are due, just incase you need to call him/her. However, usually beagles manage very well.
Good luck and let us know when they enter the world. :heart:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE!!!!!!!!! 6/20/07

Just went to the vet's office. I called there this morning, a bit concerned as by my figuring she was overdue, etc. and she had a lot of mucous coming out this last weekend, and I was thinking she had lost her mucous plug.

Well, got to do an ultrasound which was sooo fun! Got to see at least 2 pups with good heart beats. Doc won't give a number, says she could be hiding the pups clear up to her armpits for all they know! Dogs can do that apparently.
Everything looks good, doesnt look like her cervix is ready to go yet, though its hard to tell with her size. Definitely thinks it should be by this weekend or so though. If not by next Monday/Tuesday then start to worry a bit more. Thinks maybe the dates are not quite right, but everything looks good and she is not in distress at all.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Well, just an update for all--- I have been pretty worried and talking about it a LOT! LOL

:heart:
Judi and the gang

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Poor mama! Sometimes I feel just this ONE is lodged in my armpit (nope, just feet in my rib, lol!) I hope the pups come soon...if not I hope they hold out for June 29th (my birthday as well as Judymaggie's birthday) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Lots of labor dust to Maggie and a restful night for you!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Aw-www, bless her heart! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I really feel for her. My daughter was born three weeks after the due date, and at that point I was resigned to being pregnant the rest of my life. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Not a happy feeling when one's waddling around. Hope the puppies come soon.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Aww hang in there Maggie, it'll be soon enough! Its funny the doc won't give you an exact number of pups. Maybe he saw like 12 in there and didn't want to scare you away, hehehehe. Its the end of the day and my humor gets a lil wacky...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts