Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night was the worst night with Cambria ever. I've never seen her with so much energy. She was literally bouncing off the walls... She was a normal puppy until about 9 o'clock last night, then she was possessed by some sort of puppy demon...

First, whenever I took her outside, she would just run to the patch where there is no grass so she could chase the ants better.
She would try to get over there as hard as she could, choking herself and flipping herself over trying to fight me. She did this for 15 minutes before I took her inside... She pooped as soon as she got inside...

When it was time for me to go to sleep, I put her in her crate in my bedroom and she whined and whined and whined and whined and whined....ALL NIGHT... I figured she would stop... but it didn't... She is getting LOUD and it's driving me, and I'm sure my neighbors...CRAZY.

I'm looking for some advice on stopping the whining. I already have her in the crate with her toys, a kong filled with peanut butter and comfy blankets. When she decides she doesn't want to lay down and go to sleep, she just screams...

I try to just let her howl until she settles down, and then give her attention. My girlfriend however, can only last about 3 minutes of howling until she gives in...Just what puppy wants. So I was wondering if you have any other techniques or methods that may help in my situation here...

p.s. I still love my puppy very much... EVEN THOUGH SHE IS A BALL OF FUR AND CRAZY

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Of course you still love her! I know all too well what you are talking about. Chloe was a nightmare at first
, but once you set boundries, Bria should be good.
Puppy crazes will always happen (with every breed by the way) but the will lessen in time.
Keep doing what you are doing, don't give in to the crying
. Cambria is in that phase where she tests your limits. She will push and push, just like a child. Patience and persistance is the key.
If you have the option, about 1 hour before you go to bed, try to running her around (not by you, as she is way to young), but even in a back yard, chase her, or better - have her chase you a little, play with a ball or some other toy. That should wear her out and you'll get the excess energy out of her system. She will most likely sleep soundly after that (even if she whines a little at first).

Good luck

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't really have much advice, mostly because we are going through the same thing, except Molly goes crazy usually around midnight. I am not sure if it is because it is cool then or what but she wants to go outside and run around like a mad dog. If I take her in and try and calm her down she just runs around the apartment. She is usually pretty good in her crate, and calms down after about 15 minutes. I hope crazy puppy is just a phase. Good luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: KirKnCambriAI try to just let her howl until she settles down, and then give her attention. My girlfriend however, can only last about 3 minutes of howling until she gives in...Just what puppy wants.
I think, by saying what you did, you already know the solution ... consistency, consistency, consistency! If you and your girlfriend have two different sets of limits/rules, etc., then Cambria will know that she will eventually get what she wants. If you and your girlfriend can't come to agreement on rules on your own, then I would suggest a session with a trainer (particularly someone who might specialize in puppy training).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Been there, done that. Only Jersey's energy bouts usually came at about 4 a.m. I'd take her out to go potty and she'd spend the next 45 minutes running around my living room. I'm sure the people down stairs just loved that!

I agree with Eleanor. Take Bria out for some play time around 8 p.m. Let her get that puppy energy out so she's good and tired. Depending on how hot it was outside here, we'd either take Jersey out and run around with her (she'd zoomie around the yard out back for a good 15 minutes straight!) or have her play fetch with her toys in the living room while we watched TV. At that young age, it doesn't take long to tire them out. Once she's old enough to be out in the big bad world (ie: after she get's her last round of puppy shots) you can take her on longer walks and trips to the dog park (if you have one). Remember...A tired Beagle is a well behaved Beagle!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We used to call it the 8 o'clock zoomies with Duke because every night around that time, he turned into the Tasmanian devil for about 15 minutes.

I have no crate advice since we have never crated, but I can tell you that Cambria (love that name, btw, my favorite California coastal town) will outgrow it and turn into a wonderful dog in time. There will be moments you think there is no hope, but I promise you we went to he!! and back at times, and Duke has come out the other side a fun and wonderful boy. Oh, he still has his beagly behavior and will still steal bras and food, but what a difference in just the past 4 months! Cambria will get there, too.

Like Jen said, a tired beagle really is a good beagle and plenty of exercise does make a huge difference. Good luck!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I can only second what the others have said. Do you have a fenced in garden? Our first beagle was a bundle of energy but went for long walks just before bedtime, usually 11pm-12pm.
All our beagles have slept in our bedroom, without a crate, in their baskets. Cambria is probably too small to climb onto your bed? You could try leaving the crate door open just to see if she calms down. If there is nowhere comfy for her to sleep, she might choose to go in her crate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was the one who gave in with Scout and let her out whenever she cried. Now she is a year old and we are trying to break that behavior. I am not sure of the right answer. My solution is putting her crate across the house or apartment so you can't hear the crying and she can cry herself out. Some people would say that she needs to be in your bedroom. Right now, its giving me mixed results. We had company and had to move her crate back in our bedroom for the weekend. The first night she woke up at 3:30am. But the last 2 nights she slept straight through. But she played with some friends so she could have just been too tired to cry. Actually last night we wondered since she slept all day ( like 12 hours, it was great, she was so lazy) but around 7:30pm she got her energy back. I thought she would be crying as soon as she went in the crate, but she stayed outside till about midnight and then slept all night and didn't even cry this morning. We will see what happens tonight.

As far as energy at night I would do what everyone else says. Just play with her a lot. Throw balls and toys (Scout loves fetch). If you have a fenced yard, running around chasing or throwing stuff is a good energy zapper. Scout had tons and tons or energy when she was a little pup, and she still has a good amount now. Looking back it was a fun time, put during that time, I want too pull my hair out.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Patience, it is a puppy thing and she will grow out of it. Caesar did and I never thought I would see the day when he wasn't a little terror. I agree with opening the crate door. And close the bedroom door so she can't escape. You don't want the crate to seem like a punishment. And a good tiresome evening walk is a good idea. We're going through this with our German Shepherd X. By 7pm she is literally bouncing so I take her out for a good run and she comes home and sleeps. Hang in there, and good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts