Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Our Maverick is 13 weeks old. He has been losing hair in little spots on both sides of his body. The vet tested for mites but it came out negative. However, he had dry flakey skin. They prescribed Nexguard just in case and I am waiting for the prescription to arrive. When we got him, he was on puppy chow. I moved him to Science Diet on their recommendation and am in the middle of switching to Wellness Complete Health. Any other suggestions on what it could be or what I could try? I have attached a picture I took of his side while he was laying down. You can see the little dark spots which are small patches of hair loss and then the thinner spots closer to where the brown fur meets the white fur.

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Does mange make them lose fur like that? I would imagine the vet would consider it though?

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Once you make the food switch you can get a better idea if it's food related. One of my beagles was on Science Diet when we got her and she was a stinky, itchy mess. If the hair loss continues though or worsens I would contact the vet again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The spots started after switching him to Science Diet which is why I thought there may be a connection.

The vet tested for mites and mange, but it was negative. They said sometimes there is a false negative on the test and prescribed the Nexguard which would take care of mites/mange if that was the case. They didn't carry it so I had to order. My son says the dog smells like Cheetos sometimes. I looked that up and saw it could indicate yeast. However there is no redness. He just itches and nibbles at himself a lot. I was wondering if I should go ahead and try a shampoo formulated for yeast just in case.

Maverick has a vet appointment on October 16th for his next round of shots so I can check with them if there are still issues.

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Lots of beagles have feet that smell like Fritos/Cheetos. I read that it is yeast related but even my healthy beags have Frito feet. I think once you make the food change it will help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much everyone! It's so nice to have a place to ask questions. The Science Diet puppy was actually a 4 star so I thought it would be good, but it has wheat and corn in it so maybe he is sensitive to that. Hopefully the food change will help. If not, I will check with the vet again and also try grain free as a next step.

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Glad we could help. Hope the skin clears up soon. I wish I had beagle folks to chat with when I got my first beagle.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Xerxes was on Science Diet when we got him from the shelter and his poops were gross and he farted like nobody's business. He's still got impressive gas on Acana, but not like Science Diet. But his coat was fine.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
We use salmon and sweet potato. We use Westmoreland. Costco sells it. Blue Buffalo also makes one.
techie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find out what was causing the hair loss? My beagle puppy is going through the same thing right now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes. My vet did a skin scrape and it showed nothing. He thinks it might be an allergic reaction to the flea and tick medicine given. It's kind of just thinning hair, where you can see his skin, on his side.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Ok at least it isnt a skin disease. I dont know what topical flea and tick you use but Ive been applying ADVANTIX II flea and tick ( recommended by my vet). My dog weighs about 27 lbs. According to the packaging I should apply the MEDIUM size solution. But I ALWAYS have used the SMALL size application. My dog will itch for a day but has never lost hair or had fleas. I prefer to slightly underdose than overdose. Consider also adding a 1/2 tsp of coconut oil in to a feeding 1x/day 3-4 times a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Our Maverick is 13 weeks old. He has been losing hair in little spots on both sides of his body. The vet tested for mites but it came out negative. However, he had dry flakey skin. They prescribed Nexguard just in case and I am waiting for the prescription to arrive. When we got him, he was on puppy chow. I moved him to Science Diet on their recommendation and am in the middle of switching to Wellness Complete Health. Any other suggestions on what it could be or what I could try? I have attached a picture I took of his side while he was laying down. You can see the little dark spots which are small patches of hair loss and then the thinner spots closer to where the brown fur meets the white fur.
Try to change your dog's food habits. Sometimes it can change a lot of things. But before you change. Make sure you are consulting your vet before making a diet list. Even if it is not a skin disease, it will change the condition of your dog's health.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts