Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daisy went to doggy daycare today, and I know that the dogs can get rowdy. Daisy is no exception, but she appears to have a puncture wound on her front leg. Should I take her into the vet in the morning, or just keep an eye on it for infection? Can we use antibiotic ointment on dogs?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'd wash the wound with peroxide, and put antibiotic ointment on it. I use antibiotic creams on mine with no ill effects. I'm assuming that all dogs at day care have had their shots, so I'd keep a close eye on the wound for swelling, redness, etc.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Aliesha, I had the same problem with Jersey a few months back. She got a bite on her shoulder at day care. We didn't notice it for a couple of days (it was already scabbed over). I washed it with soap and water, cleaned it up with peroxide and used regular antibiotic ointment on it and it healed fine. I did that once in the morning and once in the evening and just kept an eye on it for any signs of infection. I want to say that it was healed within four or five days (after we noticed it)...but don't quote me on that. I hope Daisy is feeling OK.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sandy and Jen! I'll make sure and get some peroxide on it. She seems to be fine, but she won't leave it alone. She's not limping or anything, so I think she'll be ok. I just didn't want it getting infected. All the dogs there have to be up to date on their shots so there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I sometimes notice that Chloe has tiny scabs on her, but she is not going to daycare. I have never actually done anything with the wounds and they all healed up just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts