Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I have been reading the Forum for years, and have never joined...but now I need some advice...I have a 7 year old Beagle named Freckles, who jumped off a very high bed and seems to have pulled a muscle. We went to the Vet and they pulled her like a rubberband and could find nothing wrong. Is this the first sign of arthritis? What can I do. She can't go up the stairs, so I put up a baby gate and she is having extreme seperation anxiety. The Dr. gave her pain meds... but she just pants so I took her off. Is she just getting old and this is the first brush with it. Any Advice?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well my beagle has done that a couple times. I actually had to make him a ramp to get in bed while he healed. Each time we've done the same thing, a trip to his vet to insure that nothing more serious occurred, a week of muscle relaxing medication, and a restriction of his normal energetic self. Bagel's meds were liquid and came in a bottle with a eyedropper and I just add it to his kibble. I’m sure Freckles will recover nicely. Now, the panting is Freckles way of dealing with the pain. A beagle wants to be with their pack and especially when Freckles isn’t feeling too great, she will show more separation anxiety. Paying some extra attention to Freckles is warranted, just make sure she doesn’t try to do too much to soon. The last time the Bagel pulled a muscle he was around 12 or 13. That was a couple years ago, once he recovered, he hasn't slowed down in the least! I don't think Freckles is getting old yet!

BTW: Welcome to Beagle World /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/help.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Firsy... Welcome to the BW pack!

Next, what exactly was the injury and to what body part? When I hear about beagles jumping off high beds, I cringe. My two both have undergone surgery to back issues, one directly from jumping off a bed.

Please elaborate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She was on my son's platform bed and used a chair to get up while he was sleeping...then jumped off not realizing how high it was. She jammed her right front leg. She can walk well but can not jump up or climb the stairs.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel also did something like that also but he got a hairline fracture in his forearm and after a trip to see Christine (his vet) he was confined to quarters (my bedroom) for three weeks to recover. I would think your vet would have checked for things like that when he was stretching her and I am assuming your vet is competent. The Bagel has pulled muscles in his back once, his neck once and then he broke (ok cracked) his leg bone and each time I’ve panicked , ran him off to the vet and luckily he has nothing serious each time. Tis much better to be safe than sorry!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts