Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was our first REALLY hot day of the year in southern Ontario and apparently Ben has not yet acclimated himself to the changing weather.

We went on our typical late afternoon walk when I got home for work and he held at least five lone beagle sit-in protests along the way. He would just flop down in the shade and refuse to get up.
At one point I was dragging him across someone's front lawn and he still refused to budge. When we came to a certain point where we could take a short cut home or keep going he stubbornly plopped himself down again and refused to budge until I started to head in the short cut direction.

What a stubborn beag!
I wonder how he will handle today's even hotter weather!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I go through that from time to time...it's funny dragging them across the lawns because they refuse to walk.

·
Registered
205 Posts
JoJo does this on our runs. Come the end of our second mile, she's pretending like she has to go potty, then she plops right on down like, Go on without me, I'm good. And I fall for it every time!

It gets really hot and humid here (VA) in the summer. We're in for a rough one with her!

·
Registered
890 Posts
The Beagle bread description says they have single minded determination. In other words, STUBBORN!!!!!!

I have spent a lot of time just sitting in a park because Tucker decided he wanted to lay in the grass for a while. At 45lbs, he doesn't drag very well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
We live in Florida so it gets hot sooner than up north. Last week when Molly and I went on our afternoon walk, she was looking for spots in the shade to lay down. I just slowed down our walk let her go slow and dropped her off at home before I did my second and third lap. When I got home she was still laying on the tile cooling off.

They sure can say a lot with the expression in those eyes, can't they?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've started walking Murphy early in the morning (6:00 AM) because it's been getting in the upper 80's. I get concerned about the temperature of the pavement when it's hot out-it's pretty uncomfortable in the sunshine. I'll want to make certain I'm not cooking Murphy's little paw pads!

·
Registered
847 Posts
With the warm weather we too have found Bodie likes to just plop down on a nice shady spot of grass during our walks. We'll usually just let him sit there for a minute or two and then say Let's Go and continue our walk. So far he's been cooperative and continued with the walk. As it gets warmer we're doing our walks either early in the morning or later in the evening which helps.

·
Registered
251 Posts
lol...Rocky is already stubborn if he doesn't want to walk, I can't imagine what he heat will do to him!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Warm weather or not Gino (the bagel) puts on the brakes more than he actually walks!! Yesterday I let him dictate the pace, just to let him sniff, it was nice out, and I wanted to see how long this trek would take. WELL, what would normally take me 15-20 minutes at a comfortable pace, took us an HOUR AND A HALF!! No joke, I timed it!
I don't mind sometimes but everyday, two times a day??? I wind up dragging him and it is amazing how resistant he is!!!
I am going to post more about our walks on a thread I saw about a dog being paranoid of what is behind him!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Since we have about 10 fenced acres, Li'l Girl more or less walks herself. When it gets really warm, she spends more and more time in the air conditioned comfort of the house.

·
Registered
959 Posts
OH, how funny! I am sorry, to laugh, but I think I am the one that gives out in the heat, so I am sympathizing with Ben. I am sure Casie and Cobi want to drag me along on those hot walks. Can you go earlier in the day...morning? I live in SD and hate the heat, so we go very early, and get the long walk over with before the heat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sadie is the same way- she plops down and glares at us. Two Beagle puppies just moved in our neighborhood, and they always go trotting by with all their puppy energy. We go to a 3 mile walk each year for an organization I work with, and Sadie usually gives up around mile 2- and we carry her until the end. But at the end she likes to walk across the finish line where everyone is cheering!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts