Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some strips that you can do urinalysis's with. They are left over from when Pooh Bear had a urination problem and I needed to check his urine for blood.

Sadie had a bladder infection a few weeks ago and they gave her an antibiotic. She seems better and is better overall. She still laps a lot of water and even in the middle of the night I hear her in the kitchen lapping water. I decided to check her urine myself. I followed her around the yard with a small bowl and was able to get a sample. I tested it with a strip. The only thing that wasn't the normal color on the color chart was protein. It showed protein in her urine. Maybe she isn't over her bladder infection? Hopefully it isn't anything wrong with her kidneys. Yes, I am a worryful Beagle Mom. We have a vet appt. on Monday and I'll ask the vet.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Try taking it again before you go to the vet. I don't know much about veterinary medicine, but in people protein can be as simple as a fever (usually indicating infection) or renal disease.
As your sample is most likely not sterile, it could even be a false reading. Therefore, before you see the vet, you should try take it several times to see if it continues or not.
I wouldn't worry about her drinking lots as long as she pees lots too.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All is well. We are back from the vet. I took a urine sample in and they did a urinalysis. It showed a minute amount of protein, but the specific gravity was a certain level that made this ok. Don't really understand it, but they say she is fine. I am to monitor her drinking of water still and let them know if she continues to lap water. They may do blood work at a later time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm glad everything's ok.
Remember-what goes in, must go out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts