Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever had your beagles trained by a professional and/or enrolled them in a class? If so, did you have great results? Any dog training stories out there?

·
Registered
959 Posts
puppy classes/obedience courses

We have taken all three of ours to one or more classes.

Chip went to a k-9 simple class, sit, stay,heel, etc. It was a socialization class for dogs to be with other dogs and people they didn't know. It worked out quite well, but, then Chip was an easy dog to train, very cooperative.

Cobi went to the same kind of class, only with not so hot results. The dogs there were
older than he was, and Cobi and the other dogs didn't even get along well enough for the instructor to be able to train them to do anything. Cobi was (is) a little more stubborn etc., so that was not the best fit.

Casie went to canine kindergarten. This class was more like the one that Chip went to, basics in safety training for the dog and owner. Casie is a timid pup and will roll over for any dog or person that comes up to him....he needed to be out among other dogs and people for socialization. He did well with the other dogs.

I think a lot of it depends on the group of dogs and owners you are with, and the instructor. We had a lady who trained police dogs....very informed and loved animals, especially big dogs. AND if you work with your dog at home, that helps too. Don't forget the little treats that help train them.:yes:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Just lots of research and trial and error with us, I do think a professional training class would have been beneficial.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes! I initially enrolled in a group class with Sebastian for socialization and basic obedience training when he was around 16 weeks. I ended up loving the class thing so much that we continued taking classes so he could earn the Canine Good Citizen and get his Therapy Dog License, which we recently got! Even though Sebastian is "trained" now, I am going to continue with classes, possibly try some agility or something different. I really feel that classes are very beneficial...they help your dog to be able to focus on your commands even with many distractions!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Both Murphy and Mandy took puppy and intermediate classes from PetSmart. I was extremely pleased with the classes and highly recommend them.

Not only did they learn a lot, the classes forced us to work with them during the week so we'd be ready for the next class. It also taught us as much as it did the dogs-we still use tricks and techniques that the trainer showed us.

It was also great for socialization at a young age. We live in a rural area and our dogs are limited to our property and quiet lifestyle, so this was a chance to get them out in a noisy, busy environment and get them used to it.

If we were to get another puppy I'd do the classes again without hesitation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I took Colby to the puppy and intermediate classes at Petco. He did great so I took the AKC Good Citizen Test and the Therapy Dog test with him and he passed both. I'm hoping once spring finally gets here to try him at agilty.

And not a Beagle but my Pit Bull Rocket, was trained by a professional on personal protection. It is amazing watching him train (we take him every 2 months to practice his training).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts