Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my puppy for one week, and he would be fine being left alone. BUt for the past two days, when we leave he panics, and destroys his potty pad, and pees and poops everywhere. I leave him with a kong and a bunch of other toys but still. What should i do?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
How old is your puppy and where do you keep him when you leave the house? If you are not using a crate you might want to try that. Those puppy pads never worked for us.Maggie ripped them apart even when we were at home.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Definitely try crating him. But before you do, make sure you are doing the right thing. Always a positive thing going in a crate, treats, treats and more treats. Tell him "good boy" thousands of time. If possible, tag the crate along, in the kitchen, the bedroom, as long as he can see you. Only let him out to play and potty. Get a smaller to fit crate(right size) to start with, then switch when he grows bigger. Even if you have to buy 2 crates. I buy mine from a pet thrift store, much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Crate training worked well for us. If you do a search there are lots of web sites explaining how to this. Also at 10 weeks your puppy needs to go out often so if you have to be gone for a long time you might need to find someone who can let him out for you.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
10 weeks is very young, and they need to pee and poop many times a day... basically after everything they do (sleep, play, eat, dring...). The crating technique works!! you should definitely try it. Chloe is 20 weeks old and I use the crate and try to take her out as often as I can... I also keep a pad on the corner, just in case (and lately there are so much less pee spots on it - yeahhh :hyper: ). They love treats. Find what type he likes best and treat him every time he does something good, like going in the crate, take some out with you when you go for a walk and give him a treat when he does his business outside... make a fuss about it, a good fuss - let him know you are happy when he does his business outside.
Most important thing - PATIENCE.... and lot of it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts