Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
diesel is house trained now... well sorta.... he has his accidents where he is excited he is playing and does not realize he has to go potty till its to late... he runs to the door and pees right there... i think thats mostly cause he gets to excited... what can i do about that??

and also i am younger so on weekends my parents (i still live with) have agreed to watch diesel, if i say home on weekdays and watch him. which works for me. but he sleeps with them when they go to bed until i come home and take him outside to go potty and then he comes to bed with me. this is around midnight or one.

every time i come home my parnets have a different blanket on thier bed... he pees on their bed... they go to bed about 9 or so. they take him out and make sure he goes potty. his water is taken at about 8. then its up stairs and bed time... so some time between 9 and 1 he pees.

but its weird cause when i take him out he has to go. and he goes a lot. my parents are getting angry at him now. he never pees in my bed. and i get up at 6 am most mornings.

so why can he hold it for 5 or 6 hours with me but cant hold it for 3 or 4 hours with my parents

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Hmmm...I'm not sure about that. Daisy had 2 accidents on my bed this week. Well, the second night was an accident she just had to go so bad and couldn't hold it. I could tell she tried to hold it in. Now, the first night was pure revenge because my husband came home after being away for a few days and he took over "her side" of the bed.

Maybe he doesn't associate your parents bed as "his bed" but he sees your bed as "his" so he doesn't want to go in it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have no idea. im stumped at this point... neither of my parents have left. our scheduals have not changed.

i dont know. and he has never been in a kennel at night so if i do it now he cries. i tried it and my parents got super mad cause they couldnt sleep.

they are not very forgiving on things like that. they wont give up a couple nights of sleep for me to train him to sleep in his kennel..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm betting he's been reprimanded for urinating on your parent's bed, which in turn will make him more nervous/excited and cause him to urinate out of fear. The simple solutuion to that is he should not be allowed on the bed anymore ... crate him overnight or get him a nice dog bed that can go in the bedroom. He'll still be near your parents, but has to learn his place is not on the furniture ...
Diet can also cause incontinance or frequent urination. What are you feeding him? We had similar problems when feeding Iams/Eukanuba & the problem is resolved on Merrick.
As for the excitement urination, I know it seems like a rotten suggestion, lol, but the only thing that will help that is to ignore it completely. When you come home, keep the greetings low key - don't pay attention to him until he's settled. I've also had luck eliminating submissive urination in a mutt by teaching him the "up" command. I just had him stand on his haunches for a few seconds, then would give him the "off" or "sit" command. For some reason, this did raise his confidence level, but not sure if it'd work for excitement urination, as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya hte excitement urinations is getting better. but when he pees on my parents bed they dont notice until they roll over in it. they dont yell at him or repremand him cause they didnt catch him in the act. so they just change the sheets take him outside and go back to bed

one problem with leaving him on the floor is he does not stay put long. he chews things and runs around everywhere. and leacving him in a kennel he cries. and as i mentiond before my parents are not willing to give up a couple nights until he is used to it and not crying anymore

sry to be such a pain but i really cant figure this out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
the solution I would use is to crate him at night until he can build up his bladder. THis will also help with the excitement urination because his blader will be stronger. Other than that, you will have to take him out more, so that he empties more.

If your parents are not willing to put up with the crying in the crate for a couple days for him to get used to it, then are they willing to put up with his going in their bed? The crate seems like the best answer to me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yep. Crate him over night. Put his cage/crate next to your bed/your parents' bed. If he cries, it shouldn't be for more than a few minutes, since someone is next to him and can reassure him.

Chloe used to pee on my bed and after I crated her during the night (which is a miracle since she is not crated during the day - at all) she stopped /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/photo.gif. Now she can go on my bed without peeing (thank god). I also, just in case, have a mattress protector. I hope to get rid of that soon, it's not very comfy... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
When you go out at weekends is it just for pleasure, or work? Couldnt you give up some weekends to train Diesel? Once he is house-trained you could try him with your parents again. Just a thought.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This may be a silly question, but are you sure its pee? Arty likes to lick his paws every night before bed and sometimes he REALLY gets into and it leaves a big slobber spot on the bed. Before I realized that licking his paws was a habit i thought it was pee ... And i had the same situation where I didnt know it was there until i rolled over on it. Blech!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.