Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Caesar to the vet yesterday for his annual shots and check up. We knew he was overwieght so it was no surprise when she told me that he was 15.9kg (35lbs) and needed to go on a diet. She put him on Hills W/D. Has anyone had their beag on this food? Does it work? The good thing is that his vet has owned a beagle and knows first hand what their eating habits are like and how he finds food everywhere! I can't believe how many chicken bones are in parks, and Caesar finds them all.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker, Moose and Popcorn have been on R/D for several years - I believe that is the reducing version whereas yours is the weight control version but essentially both are for pudgy beagles! I do think it works to keep Moose relatively trim and stop Booker from getting bigger (if not actually losing much, although we've recently upped her thyroid medication and that seems to be working better and I think I even see a bit of a waistline forming on her...).

For Popcorn, we had to stop using the R/D because she was having allergy problems and therefore she went onto Z/D, which is the ultra/low allergen option, and although that is good at controlling her allergies it is NOT as good at controlling her weight and therefore that is unfortunate (we have come up with new words to the Killers song Are we human or are we dancers which are Are we beagle or are we sausage in honour of Popcorn.

As far as whether the food is good as compared to other food I don't know - I believe it doesn't score particularly high on all the surveys of food that are around and perhaps there are better options available, but it seems to work well enough for our gang and they all process it well (Moosie often gets the runs if we switch to other foods when we can't get R/D for one reason or another) so we have just kept using it for a few years now.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I have used Prescription Diet for the dog's urinary issues and also when my first beagle had pancreatis - both with success. You can also cut back portions and just add things like green beans, carrots etc. And watch the treat giving! I actually just use kibble pieces sometimes for a treat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts