Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luigi arrives on Monday. Anything special i should do do prep our 2 bedroom apartment for him, besides get all the shoes out of his reach? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
Get a cage, lots of Natures Miracle, wires off the floor and just enjoy puppyhood...

Welcome to BW... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grr.gif

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif What about toys? what does everyone recommend? I know I'm gonna get 2 Kongs (one puppy and one adult) and lots of rawhide, but beyond that, I'm clueless.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You were right about the shoes - if you can hang everything "chewable" from the ceiling you'll be ahead of the game. Of course, with a beagle puppy EVERYTHING is "chewable" - and it's hard to hang the furniture from the ceiling!
A crate, or "kennel" is the first thing on the agenda. I have 10 beagles - and with the first 3 I didn't crate train them, but others have been. My personal preference is the wire kennel, but the plastic crates are good for "traveling".
Toys - all mine love "stuffed toys" - but can unstuff them faster than you can say "polyester stuffing". Some of the pups like balls - NONE of them have ever liked hard rubber chew toys - they just prefer furniture to chew on /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif - most don't care for squeeky toys, but all dogs are different.
Please feel free to ask anything - most members here have a lot of beagle experience - tho not ALL have puppy experience.
Good luck with Luigi!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Go to Petsmart and look at the puppy toys. Ours liked pretty much any toy we gave them when they were puppies. Pick up anything off the floor that you don't want chewed on. Get ready to have lots of fun and have lots of patience for your new baby.

And send us some pictures as soon as you can!!

I agree that a kennel or pen of some sort is necessary.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke loves all toys, especially squeeky toys and stuffed toys (though those don't last anymore). Nylabones are great for chewing and all of my dogs still chew on them.

I recommend bitter apple to spray on the corners of your furniture and anything else you think he'll chew. Had I done that in the beginning, I could have saved the corners of a few pieces of furniture. It deters them from chewing because it tastes bad. You have to use it weekly, but it does work.

I can't wait to see pics of your new Luigi! How exciting for you.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Toys: kong, chewables (no ropes and stuff, don't like it), some stuffed animals, squeekies.
House stuff: Crate/Wire Cage, comfy bed, food and water bowls, housetraining detergents, leash & collar (obviously).

And I second the bitter apple spray!! Worked wonders with Chloe!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Definitely a crate and a retractable lead. You'll need a regular lead when you start obedience, but I find the retractable and GODSEND when I'm in the house with Kioko. Beyond that, here are my top 20 suggestions for dog supplies:

1.couple different kinds of treats (small ones for training)
2.collar or harness and ID tags to go with
3.an appointment with a good veterinarian
4.a stuffed toy
5.a small "tennis" ball
6.a rubber or polymer chew toy (your beagle will like at least one of those three)
7.doggie toothpaste and brush (even if you think it's silly, it's vital that your pup get used to you touching his/her mouth and muzzle. Toothbrushing is a great way to accomplish this. DO NOT use human toothpaste.
8.Kioko loves rawhides and ignores the Nylabones. I recommend getting one of each to see which your beagle goes to.
9.Nature's Miracle for those little accidents that are going to happen
10.appropriately-sized stainless steel non-slip dog bowls (they wash the best)
11.placemat for said bowls (water will slosh with that tongue)
12.towels and/or blankets that you don't mind having the puppy use for bedding. YES...this stuff will likely be puked, peed, or pooped on before you're done house training, so plan accordingly.
13.nail trimmers and styptic powder (just in case you nick). The handling of your pup's paws is really important. Most dogs resist having their paws handled, so it's a good idea to start from day one letting your pup know that it is necessary and good that you be allowed to handle his body.
14.a brush suitable for short-hair coats.
15.ear cleaner and cotton balls/pads...again...it's just good to start this stuff early so that you encounter less resistance when the puppy is old enough to "need" his ears cleaned by you.
16.heartworm and flea/tick preventative (speak to your vet about what age and what product to begin using)
17.A large tupperware-like container to keep the kibble in so that puppy doesn't get into the bag.
18.A basket or other container to keep all the dog care stuff in.
19.Poop bags and dispenser (get one that will attach to your leash. It's such a convenience)
20.A good beagle manual or even a general dog manual that discusses how to raise a puppy. Good references will have a section on healthcare/hygiene stuff, house training, and how to introduce very basic obedience training.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Great advice so far.
I just liked to add a few things you will personally need for the next few weeks....PATIENCE, A STEADY REGULAR SCHEDULE(SO IMPORTANT)always feed and take puppy out at the same time , everyday, I find you have a lot more control as to what goes in and when it comes out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif
Take him out alot, whatch when they start circling, that is a sign...out he goes.
Also can't wait to see Luigi's pictures. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Great suggestions so far! Having a puppy myself, the only thing I'd like to add is to try and think of the unthinkable.

I thought I had pretty much puppy-proofed my house, but just last night I heard Maggie under the bed chewing on something. As soon as I looked under the bed to see what it was, I panicked. I had forgotten that I was storing the center leaf to our brand new dinning room table under the bed. And you guessed it...she was using it as a great big chew toy! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/exactly.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Vodka, beer, valium... tipple of your choice.. I find the vodka goes down a treat in the morning.. right after you've taken the wonder beagle out for that morning pee pee.. lovingly treat upon the perfect sit when coming in the door, turn around and find the "wonderpet" nonchalantly chewing on the dining room table leg, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thsmiley_fistshake.gifafter having finished the pee pee on the office carpet!

Kidding about the booze and drugs of course, but everyone here has said it right.. it's PATIENCE, love, crate, and a room where you can take yourself off to to count to ten, before the next round of chaos reigns.

I don't know how old Luigi, but I'd not invest in thousands of toys til she's able to let you know what HE likes. We now have a vast collection of Nylabones, that are the only unscathed thing in the house. Bernie won't touch them, or the kong, or anything but tug toys really.

Hubby just added.. for the man of the house.. Must wear full protective clothing at ALL times! No bathrobes after the shower, and then sit on the edge of the couch!! Ouchiiiies.. lol

First and foremost, remember.. this too shall pass.. so I've been told /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I don't suggest rawhide either, some dogs (like mine) are very sensitive to it. It can be chewed but not eaten so you have to be very careful with it. Definitely get a crate and some washable blankets. A high quality kibble (avoid anything that you can buy at the grocery store or Walmart). Metal dishes are the best, don't use plastic as they can cause reactions because of the chemicals in them. Have some place ready for when you have to leave him a lone, if you choose the crate then that is awesome. Start crate training from day 1, it will make it a lot easier on you later on. For toys, I like anything that squeaks because it gets their attention. Just make sure that when they are playing, they can't get any pieces off and eat them. 2L pop bottles were very fun when Spencer was a puppy, played with them for hours.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's another problem I am having guys...We're not rich...basically newlyweds relying one job while the other party searches for one...so what would you guys reccomend for a pair of new Beagle owners on a tight budget? We might have to buy that wal-mart kibble because it's cost effective, for example...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would talk to your vet about the kibble. They may be able to recommend something cheaper that is still a good-quality food. I feed Purina Pro Plan to Henry, which is $10.25 (9.25% sales tax included) for an 8lb bag. I'm sure the others can recommend good foods they've found too, but you're still looking at probably at least $1 per pound. His food and vet expenses are not really the place to cut corners; very important stuff (and the most expensive!) I would go cheap on toys (he'll just destroy them) and collars (he'll outgrow them) and invest as wisely as possible in the other 'goodies' so you get as much for your dollar as possible. Hope this helps...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I pay for a big bag (20 lb) of Wellness about 35 dollars. That lasts me for about 1.5 months with Chloe. I am the only provider too..... living alone and all... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/th_-swoon.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just a quick note.. check your local "Freecycle" site for crates/kennels.. always a few on the move on our site. Also try Craislist for the same.. Neighbours got their big breed crate for $30, and of course had to pick it up.. but still..

Food is not the place like Henry's Mom said too, to cut costs. Salvation Army stores etc.. are perfect for those stuffies and extra blankets or even bathmats like we use for Bernie.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Ya, I wouldn't talk to your vet about food actually. They are going to recommend something like Science Diet, Hills or Eukanuba which are all pretty gross. If you are on a tight budget, look for the Kirkland Premium. For the price of it, it's not all that bad.

I would also check ads for a cheaper used crate. I hate to say it but puppies are expensive. You really need to be prepared. Vaccinations alone will cost you a couple hundred $$ in the first few months.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We've got a crate, and he already had all his shots. The pup was raised on Nutro Natural Choice, so we'll keep him on that brand of dog food for the time being. We're gonna try goodwill for old stuffed animals for him to tear up.

We made our first pet store run today, spent over 100. But most of that, including the most expensive item (a 25 dollar retractable dogleash with a bag holder/dispenser) is a one time purchase, so that's good.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would recommend finding a toy with a heating pad in it for sleeping with. We bought one for Blue when we brought him home to ease his separation from the pack and even now at eight months old, he still takes it to bed and cuddles with it. Of course, we are on version number two and we can no longer use the bean bag since it has been peed on more than we want to talk about. We used old towels in the bottom of his kennel until we knew that he was potty trained, it was easier to clean and much cheaper than dog beds.

Stuffed toys are good here, but he does strip the fur off of them. Make sure you only get stuffed toys that have stitched on features, you don't want any buttons for eyes or you may have a problem when he pulls them off. Blue also pulls the outside off of tennis balls, so we had to resort to racquetballs for him to play with.

We use Three Dog Bakery for our food and two five pound bags cost us $25.00 with shipping and lasts us a month. Our vet can't get over his coat and how healthy he is and relates it to his food.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts