Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if I ever mentioned our other horse. He is a 4 year old thoroughbred gelding. His name is François (AKA Franny.) Franny has been having a similar problem to what our other horse, Eve, has battled. He started with cellulitis in his rear leg. (Same leg as Eve.) The past few weeks, he has been in a stall, on antibiotics, had the leg lanced to let out infection, been having the wound irrigated, and the leg wrapped. Now, vets are saying it 'could' be a 'sequestered' break, which is where a piece of bone breaks off. If so, he will require surgery. Please send prayers and good thoughts for Franny.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So sorry, Jan. Hope no surgery needed and all is well soon.
Thank you so much! My daughter is financially responsible for Franny. I know this is costing her a bundle. And there is the stress of worrying about Franny's recovery. It is soooo hard.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are these things contagious??
I know nothing about horses!
techie
No. It's not contagious. I had seen an article that explained it very well, but I can't find it now. Cellulitis is a bacterial infection. This is generally caused by a break in the skin - a scratch or cut, which allows bacteria to get in. Often, the spot of entry is unknown. The infection quickly spreads and immediate treatment with antibiotic is necessary. Healing can take a long time. Sadly, for whatever reason, cellulitis seems to be a recurring problem for some horses. I hope that is not the case for Franny.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Franny wants me to tell y'all to pray harder. He is still on stall rest and getting treated EVERY day. Poor baby.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Oh my goodness, you have your hands full. Sending good thoughts. I didn't know you had a second one with issues, sorry

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you techie and Cassie! Well, this is actually Franny's first issue. With horses, it always seems to be something. Horses are money pits. lol!

We have stopped putting the medicine into the leg. It is a tube of medicine that has a syringe type tip. The tip goes into the hole in Franny's leg and then the tube is squeezed. There is no more puss coming out and it just doesn't seem necessary. Plus, Franny really doesn't like it. The vet is coming out to check him on Monday.

Did I ever tell y'all the story of how Franny came into our family? It's a really cool story.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The vet came out today to check on Franny. He said that we should continue to sweat wrap Franny's leg for a few more days and to give him his antibiotic for another week. Hopefully, after that, Caity can do some light riding on him, at the walk. Not sure how soon he can go back outside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts