Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all must get tired of me asking for prayer for my horse, Eve. It has been a rough week. Eve is 25 years old. She recently recovered from an abscess in one of her front hooves. Now, she has cellulitis in her left rear leg. The leg is scarred from an old injury. The lymphatic system does not function in that leg and it is prone to infection. The vet has been out every day for a week, to give IV antibiotics. This time, the leg has not responded as well as we had hoped. It was so swollen, we were unable to sweat wrap it until today. Now, the vet is concerned about the coronary band. It is soft and there is a fear that she could lose her hoof. For non-horsey people, the hoof grows from the coronary band, like a fingernail grows from the cuticle. The coronary band is the area where the hoof meets the hairline. Anyway, this could be a death sentence for Eve. We are very, very concerned. If you could send some prayers our way, they would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. There was a bit of improvement today. I am thankful for that. Eve has a long way to go, but I am hopeful. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
So sorry to hear about Eve. You've sure have had a lot of challenges with her. Hugs and prayers for improvement.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I just signed on :( and yours is the first post. ((((hugs))) for your BIG fur baby! I know horses are just as intelligent as dogs!
techie

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Praying for a horse. Hmmmmmmmmm I sure will. Horses are better behaved than a lot of humans now a days. Hope she heals quickly!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eve is now on oral antibiotics. Her coronary band is much better. She can go outside now. We will be starting Eve on a homeopathic. I have a dear friend who worked in horse rescue for many years. This is something she has recommended, in the past. It has worked successfully for horses she has treated. My daughter was reluctant to try it. That thinking has changed. Eve is 25.5 years old. If this happens again, it is doubtful she would recover. At the worst, the homeopathic will do no good. But - it will do no harm, so worth a try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you soaking her hoof, packing it, or applying any type of hoof treatment on it? When I was working with race horses I seen quit a few hoof injuries. Often times, on top of their antibiotics, we'd do an Epsom soak, put hoof strengthener on the coronary band, and then pack them. We'd wrap them in a diaper like a lot of people do for thrush. Of course I wouldn't with out your vets approval.

There's this new product on the market I haven't tried yet. I think it's called what's that blue stuff, or something similar. It might help with the outward treatment of the cellulitis. Perhaps a coating of it or mtg with a vet wrap covery might help reduce the infection...? I'm not a vet though. Just things I've seen others try. Luckily for me every horse I've owned was an easy keeper. No serious injuries.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you soaking her hoof, packing it, or applying any type of hoof treatment on it? When I was working with race horses I seen quit a few hoof injuries. Often times, on top of their antibiotics, we'd do an Epsom soak, put hoof strengthener on the coronary band, and then pack them. We'd wrap them in a diaper like a lot of people do for thrush. Of course I wouldn't with out your vets approval.

There's this new product on the market I haven't tried yet. I think it's called what's that blue stuff, or something similar. It might help with the outward treatment of the cellulitis. Perhaps a coating of it or mtg with a vet wrap covery might help reduce the infection...? I'm not a vet though. Just things I've seen others try. Luckily for me every horse I've owned was an easy keeper. No serious injuries.
Thank you for your advice. Sadly, it is more complicated than that. I would definitely do those things for a hoof injury. Matter of fact, we did do that for a recent abscess. Epsom salts is awesome.

This time, the problem is her lymphatic system and the scarring in her leg. It interferes with circulation and the ability to heal. Eve also has Cushings disease and has a history of laminitis and founder. We have an amazing farrier who is an 'equine podiatrist-farrier'. He doesn't come cheap, but he is worth his weight in gold. He is definitely on top of things with Eve's hooves.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wanted to give y'all an update on Eve.

She is doing well. The farrier came out and said her hooves look great. We are trying to keep her turned out, as much as possible. Her leg tends to stock up, when she is kept in a stall, due her poor circulation in that leg. My daughter bought a special wrap of some type that helps to keep that from happening. We have had some bad weather in recent weeks. The horses have spent more time in stalls. When we know Eve is going to be stalled, we use the wrap. What we are doing, seems to be helping. We want to prevent any future problems.

Thank you so much for the prayers and good thoughts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts