Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know y'all must get tired of hearing about Eve, my thoroughbred mare. Looks like I haven't asked prayer for her since last March. SIGH! Eve will be 25 soon, so she is an old lady horse. She was kicked, Sunday, by her pasture mate. He's a jerk. The cut is worse than we thought and is near a joint. Please pray that it doesn't get infected and she heals quickly.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh nooo! We are so sorry. Prayers for eve. Was she separated from the culprit?
Yes and no. Eve is in a stall, until she heals, so not with the culprit. They will eventually be in the pasture together. There are only three horses, since we moved her to the smaller farm. Horses are always doing stuff like that. No idea why. Our other horse, Franny, has a bald spot on his head from hitting it on something and a bite mark on his neck. He is at the big farm with lots of horses. Must be stupid herd mentality or something.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
((((hugs))))
techie
Thank you!

The vet came out today. Eve was given a second antibiotic shot. Vet will be back out tomorrow. Then.....we have to give Eve a shot on Saturday, because the vet probably won't come. We are expecting a blizzard this weekend. Oh, joy. NOT! Great timing, Eve. I hope they are wrong about the snow.

The vet thought the wound looked good today, however, she said the cut had almost gone to the bone. That would have been super bad. My head hurts. My wallet hurts. It's a good thing I have exedrine and a credit card. lol!

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
Yikes, I hope she keeps healing and I hope you don't get the blizzard!! I just saw the news and I think it will miss us in upstate NY.

I can't even imagine vet bills for a horse - ouch!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yikes, I hope she keeps healing and I hope you don't get the blizzard!! I just saw the news and I think it will miss us in upstate NY.

I can't even imagine vet bills for a horse - ouch![/QUOTE]

I'll let you know. I could go back and look at previous bills, but my heart isn't in it. I'm betting it will be less than the E-vet for Boh. :)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you girls! The vet gave Eve her 3rd shot today and said she looks good. If the weather is too bad Saturday, we can give her shot to her on Sunday morning. The vet expects that to be her last shot. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
25?! How long do horses live??? Wow! It's a good think you have a credit card and Excedrin. :faint:
25 is getting up there. She is a senior, for sure. She could live to 29 or 30. I have known a few horses that lived to 40, but they weren't thoroughbreds. Donkeys live forever. lol!

I am VERY thankful for my credit card and exedrine. That's what keeps me going.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AW, Thank you for asking. Eve is healing. It's slow. She is still on stall rest. The wound still needs to be irrigated, because it is so deep. The flap tends to heal over on the outer layer and then it needs to be reopened, because we don't want that closed while the inside is still healing. One of my girls' is kind of squeamish, so she hates having to open it.

We were completely snowed in here. Our streets hadn't even been plowed, so there was no way we could get to the farm in our vehicles. Fortunately, my oldest has a friend with a jeep. My girls walked to meet him on a main road. He drove them to the farm. No problem. Very nice of him. My daughter gave Eve her last shot on Sunday, Jan. 24th. Eve is finished antibiotics. There has been no infection. The leg gets cleaned, medicated, and wrapped every day. Eve is getting closer to being well. Can't wait 'til she can go outside again. Hopefully dumb butt gelding won't kick her any more.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts