Our Beagle World Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for asking Joann. I've been meaning to update. Eve is still in a stall. She has been in a stall since February. At least the weather hasn't been very nice, so she isn't missing much. The vet has been out several times. Two weeks ago, x-rays were taken. It was confirmed that is founder. The right front is worse than the left. The coffin/pedal bone in the left is angled down, but not too bad. The bone in the right has rotated and is more angled down toward her toes. The bone has not gone through her hoof. The vet said he has seen worse, but it could be better. The farrier came out last week and cut her toes way back, per the vet. He looked at the x-rays and determined she had enough sole for shoes. Farriers are always hesitant to take so much off the hoof, because it does make the horse sore and some owner don't like it. Fortunately, my daughter was there and told him to go ahead. She seems to be tolerating everything pretty well. The farrier will continue to keep the front short, so the weight is taken off her toes and thereby, the coffin bone. Hopefully, this will stabilize her. There is nothing we can do about the bone itself - just try to keep the weight off.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Excuse a dumb question....would casts help support the legs?
No. Casts wouldn't help. Here is a link that might better explain. The bone involved is called the coffin bone, in the US. The same bone is called the pedal bone in the UK. In the article, it is called the pedal bone. You will be able to see how it rests on the laminae, in the hoof. Articles | Hoof Anatomy | | Fresh Hooves

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just another update. Today is Eve's 23rd birthday. She remains on stall rest. With her toes rolled back and her new shoes, Eve seems more comfortable. Unfortunately, Eve developed an infection in one of her rear legs. She is on IV antibiotics for the infection. The vet has been out EVERY day this week to give her the shot. He will be out tomorrow and Sunday, as well. Can't wait to get the vet bill. OUCH! The good news, is that the infection seems to be clearing up. The swelling in the leg is subsiding.

Normally, Eve gets a birthday party. We decided to postpone her party until May. Hopefully, she will be able to be in a pasture by then. A little more sad news.....We knew Eve most likely could not be in a pasture with her boyfriend, Snuggles, any more. Snuggles is skinny and Eve is a fatty. She eats her food AND Snuggles food. Since she foundered, her diet is limited. Eve and Snuggles have been together for quite a few years and are very bonded. Initial attempts to separate them did not go well. The forced separation this time has been OK. We hoped they would at least get to see each other from time to time. Sadly, that is not going to happen, because Snuggles has been moved to a new farm. SIGH! Poor Eve.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey All! I am resurrecting this thread, because I am stuck in the same old place. Eve has been on stall rest for the past seven months. It stinks. If we were treating her for one thing all this time, without improvement, I would seriously consider letting her go. Instead, it has been one thing after the other. I'm not even sure of the order any more, but something like this - laminitis, founder, lymphangitis, screw up by previous farrier, lymphangitis (again), abscess.

Last month we had a new farrier come out. He specializes in horses with founder. We had the vet do new x-rays. The farrier used the x-rays as a guide. He spent 2 hours working on Eve's hooves and making special shoes and cushions. She seemed more comfortable. I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel. Before we could allow her outside, her rear leg started to swell and needed to be wrapped. She had to stay in. As of today, she is really off - super lame. It could possibly be another abscess brewing. I don't know.

The farrier is coming out today. I am praying for some good news for my girl. I just want her to be comfortable and out of the stall.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Oh gosh, what a shame there hasn't been improvement to report. It really sounds like you have given every effort to the problems. Let us know what the vet says after his visit
sending good thoughts...

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thank you techie and Cassie. Much appreciated. Well, the farrier is the one who was out today. My daughter met with him. I only had a few minutes to speak to her, before class. He feels it could be a bruise. (How does my horse keep hurting herself in a stall? UGH!) Anyway, the farrier said to go ahead and put her into the round pen tomorrow.

Previously, the vet said pretty much the same thing - that if there was no change, to bute her up and toss her out. (Bute is pain medication for horses.) At this point, that's the plan.

Tomorrow, we will give Eve Bute and put her in the round pen. Fingers crossed. I'll update, if my daughter has any additional information and I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Thinking your family and horse. I hope she begins to heal and that this ordeal is soon behind all of you. Hugs!!!!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thank you so much ljas. It is raining here today, so I'm not sure my daughter was able to let her go outside. I'm waiting for a report.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hello natty boh i just wanted you to i have your daughters horse eve in thoghts and prayers i hope eveverything will be alright good luck to you all

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
hello natty boh i just wanted you to i have your daughters horse eve in thoghts and prayers i hope eveverything will be alright good luck to you all
Thank you so much. That is so sweet and very much appreciated. Our horse, Eve, is doing better, at the moment. Her birthday is April 25th. She will be 24 years old. Last year was a bad year for her health-wise. It stinks getting old. :)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts